Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Prop bet thread

Nick,

would you be willing to wager that you can beat any person over the age of 50 at tennis best 3 of 5 sets?

this isn't a challenge directly (i am 34, lol) i was just curious if it was more or less directly correlated with "the beating any woman in the world" bet.

oh and on that bet, could the surface be clay?
would you take the bet then against a woman?

thanks in advance. J.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:47 PM

If I started training and worked hard for 6 months, I think I could beat anyone over 50, pretty sure.

I would play any women any surface for up to 5 million, someone get that set up and you got 20% finders fee.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3. Prop bet that I can qualify to play (either through rating points or winning a seat in a tournament) in a 2008 Magic Pro Tour event (I don't actually have to attend the Pro Tour, just be invited to play in it).

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the idea of a bet like this. What is your real name (or better yet, give me your DCI #). I want to look up your rating.

I'd consider taking this bet, although I would prefer if it were limited to something like 10 PTQs, and I was given odds. That way I wouldn't have to waste a year of my life waking up at 6am every Saturday (which in turn kills Friday nights).

If I could find a dedicated person (this would be very hard), I would be willing to bet that I could teach him how to play Magic, and have him qualify for a PT within a year. Would you give me odds on this? Would you be willing to put a lot of money up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is a much better idea to have a bet about teaching a new player how to play, and qualifying for a limited PT within a year. I once saw Joe Crosby coach a terrible player in between rounds to a constructed PTQ victory... and that didn't involve coaching outside the PTQ, he just gave him a deck and advised him how to play it on that one day, and how to board and play vs. the decks that were coming up.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
apathy did it wrong was the general consensus. did like 400 right away and then rested, killing his arms.

I'd do sets of 10 every ten minutes. That'd be 60 an hour, and after just 10 hours you'd be at 600. From there you can rest a little, maybe do sets of 10 every 15-20 minutes, or do sets of 8 every 15, or whatever. If you get to the last hour with 100 to go, you can will yourself through it, especially if aspirin, painkillers, and proper diet are used. I would bet i could do it for a large sum of cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a lazy office slob that doesn't work out ever. Because of this thread, I did 1000 on sunday and it wasn't difficult. I did three sets of 25 per hour for the first four hours, then scaled it back to two sets of 25 for the next twelve. Then I did one set per hour for the next four. I was stretching, taking fluids and ibuprofen regularly. I'm still sore as hell though and it's three days later.

For any guy that is in reasonable shape or isn't an obese wreck, this should be the perfect hustle.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:45 AM

ok here is my prop. with 1 week to prepare. recite out loud, the "to be, or not to be monologue". you cannot use any tools during the memorization or recitation. no paper and pencil. no other aids. must be perfectly word for word. any slip up and you lose. you can't nix a word that you know is wrong. you cannot start over. here is the catch. You must recite it in a 1, 3, 2, 4, 3, 5, 4..... pattern.

for example the first line would be, "To or be not or to not be to that be is that the is question" instead of "To be, or not to be: that is the question"

the monologue is 35 lines long. approximately 240 words.

edit - obviously during the memorization period you will have a copy of the monoluge. you can't use anything else.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok here is my prop. with 1 week to prepare. recite out loud, the "to be, or not to be monologue". you cannot use any tools during the memorization or recitation. no paper and pencil. no other aids. must be perfectly word for word. any slip up and you lose. you can't nix a word that you know is wrong. you cannot start over. here is the catch. You must recite it in a 1, 3, 2, 4, 3, 5, 4..... pattern.

for example the first line would be, "To or be not or to not be to that be is that the is question" instead of "To be, or not to be: that is the question"

edit - obviously during the memorization period you will have a copy of the monoluge. you can't use anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first read this I was hoping GTL would get another star. However upon further review, I think that this isn't as impossible as I first thought. The real problem would be the on the spot, and under pressure recitation imo.

I am pretty sure that instead of reciting it, I could write it all down correctly without having to erase, but that isn't near as hard.

Personally I would like to see all responses in OOT be in this format for a day so that NT's head would explode.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:13 AM

I think it shouldn't be hard as long as you can recite slowly. It's just a matter of breaking the task down into memorising, splitting up into (overlapping) four word blocks, and rearranging the blocks into 1324 form before you speak them. If you can use finger or toe counting to keep track while you're reciting (and that would be hard to prevent even if the terms of the bet are meant to exclude),
it shouldn't be hard at all: counter says block N, run through text mentally to block N, speak in 1324, iterate
counter.

Doing it in <2 minutes, on the other hand, might be a lot harder....
Old 08-01-2007, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it shouldn't be hard as long as you can recite slowly. It's just a matter of breaking the task down into memorising, splitting up into (overlapping) four word blocks, and rearranging the blocks into 1324 form before you speak them. If you can use finger or toe counting to keep track while you're reciting (and that would be hard to prevent even if the terms of the bet are meant to exclude),
it shouldn't be hard at all: counter says block N, run through text mentally to block N, speak in 1324, iterate
counter.

Doing it in <2 minutes, on the other hand, might be a lot harder....

[/ QUOTE ]

i got this idea from practicing guitar. a very common way to practice is to run through scales using different patterns such as 1,2,3,4,5/ 1,3,2,4,3/ 1,2,3,2,3,4.....

when you practice scales like this, the more you think about it the more difficult it becomes. it is easier to just let your fingers go. for this reason, i think it would be nearly impossible to simply memorize the monologue and then try and do the proper recitation based on your memorization of the monologue. to be honest, i'm not sure what the best technique would be to pull off this off. the suggested block method sounds like a pretty decent technique.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first read this I was hoping GTL would get another star. However upon further review, I think that this isn't as impossible as I first thought. The real problem would be the on the spot, and under pressure recitation imo.

I am pretty sure that instead of reciting it, I could write it all down correctly without having to erase, but that isn't near as hard.

Personally I would like to see all responses in OOT be in this format for a day so that NT's head would explode.

[/ QUOTE ]

i got the star before i even knew what they meant so i almost certainly deserved it.

i'm curious as to why the format of my post would make anyone's head explode. care to elaborate? (not being snotty, i really have no idea why my post is difficult to understand.)

also, writing down your answer destroys this prop. it makes it incredibly easy.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I started training and worked hard for 6 months, I think I could beat anyone over 50, pretty sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much action will you take Nick? We might have a bet.

Best 3 of 5, in Las Vegas, six months from now? (February-ish?)

St. Valentine's Day Massacre, 2+2 style.