Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2006, 03:40 PM

Default Ever been in an accident with an uninsured motorist?

My post was inspired by the one about the no DL accident thread. Here is my story, please offer yours:

In 1989 I was driving a 300 ZX heading south on Peoria Avenue crossing an intersection with a green light when an old (1969) Firebird heading North turned in front of me. In an attempt to avoid contact I swerved to the right and luckily was struck on the left rear quarter panel causing about $1500 worth of damage.

We both pulled over to the side of the road quickly and the car following behind me pulled up and stopped as well. The driver of the firebird showed me his badge, he was an off duty police officer in his civies. He told me right away he had no insurance. By then two men in suits from the other vehcle (unmarked car) who witnessed the accident walked up to us asking if any help was required. They flashed their badges as well, they were on duty detectives. I told them I had more cops than I needed at the scene already and was not injured. They gave me their business cards offering to testify as to fault if necessary and departed.

Now a third cop in a regular black and white patrol car pulls up, takes our statements and information. He issued a ticket to the off duty officer and made sure I was alright as well. Never beore have I had so many cops concerned about my welfare.

I called my Insurance company (Allstate) and informed them of the accident. They performed an estimate, had my car repaired but charged me my $500 deductible. I just took it as another bad beat and went on about my business.

Two years later I got a check in the mail for $500 from Allstate. It referenced the aforementioned accident and stated that they had garnished this guys wages at $5 a week for nearly two years and were refunding my deductible. Talk about being blown away!!! This was better than sucking out on the river with only two outs. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyone else got any similar storys good or bad?

Jimbo
Old 02-26-2006, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Ever been in an accident with an uninsured motorist?

Same story, except:

--I wasn't there, my wife was driving;
--No cops involved, except the one that arrived after my wife called;
--We're not hopeful about getting our deductible refunded.