Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 05:34 AM

Location: Phase 1: collect underpants Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit
Default I need to thin out abit

i'm about 5' 10' 250. fat around midsection.

I am NOT willing to give up sweets (heh heh).

I run 4 miles a day 2miles at 50% and 2 at 90-100% effort.

I have been doing somepushups. Do situps actuallydo anything?

what else should i be doing?

i'm trying toeat lessthan 2500 calories a day.

any tips to speed this up greatly appreciated.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:53 AM

Default Re: I need to thin out abit

You need to post more specific questions or just read all the posts in this forum, as most general guidelines have already been given.

Situps work your abdominal muscles. They don't decrease the fat around them though.

If you have access to weights, you should definitely try to lift.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:44 AM

You can run 4 miles a day at once? I'd suggest you get a heart rate monitor, that way you can regiment your training more. When we talk about intensity here we talk about % of max heart rate. 50% intensity would be walking or stretching, 90% intensity would be sprinting. There's no way you could be sprinting for 2 miles.

I'm in a similar position as you (i've actually lost like 100lbs to get there). You can read my posts to see what i've done.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:10 AM

I am with korch..I dont believe the 4 mile quote as it just doesnt fit the rest of the post. Also you arent sprinting 2 miles at once...nobody can.

Unfortunately for you, the best way to lose weight is to have a good diet. Generally that means a lot more protein and less carbs/sugars/fats.

Situps will build muscle but wont really burn off any fat so again it goes back to diet.

You cant half commit to gettign in shape...you need to get a good diet going and then you can make changes later on..
Old 06-04-2007, 11:16 AM

Stop running long distances and do sprints.

And stop "trying" to eat less than 2500 calories a day. Do it. It is as simple as that.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately for you, the best way to lose weight is to have a good diet. Generally that means a lot more protein and less carbs/sugars/fats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know whether or not this is true, but what I can tell you from my experience being extremely fat and eating bad is that if you start working out regularly you will feel better and see results even if you don't change your diet. Once you feel better and begin seeing the results, it will be easier for you to slowly improve your diet. That's been my experience. For some reason, after you sweat your but off for 45 min eating back all those calories with a single big mack doesn't seem so worth it.

At any rate, if you don't want to change your diet that's fine. Having a crapy diet in no way "cancels out" the healty benefits of exercise. It's true you can have a good exercise regimen with horrible diet and be unhealthy, but you'd be much better off than if you had the same bad diet w/o exercise.

re situps: i like to do abb and back work to gain strength. this will help with posture and help ward off back injuries which can be brutal. that said, it will make no difference to how your midriff looks. At this point and for the next 80+lb all changes in that area will be due to fat loss.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:19 AM

make sure you have some base level of fitness first. any exercise is better than nothing, and you can't do squat if you're injured.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know whether or not this is true, but what I can tell you from my experience being extremely fat and eating bad is that if you start working out regularly you will feel better and see results even if you don't change your diet. Once you feel better and begin seeing the results, it will be easier for you to slowly improve your diet. That's been my experience. For some reason, after you sweat your but off for 45 min eating back all those calories with a single big mack doesn't seem so worth it.

At any rate, if you don't want to change your diet that's fine. Having a crapy diet in no way "cancels out" the healty benefits of exercise. It's true you can have a good exercise regimen with horrible diet and be unhealthy, but you'd be much better off than if you had the same bad diet w/o exercise.

re situps: i like to do abb and back work to gain strength. this will help with posture and help ward off back injuries which can be brutal. that said, it will make no difference to how your midriff looks. At this point and for the next 80+lb all changes in that area will be due to fat loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I agree that if you go from doing littel to no exercise to some exercise then you will see results...As most have said, even if an obese person got out and walked they would see results.

The reality though is that diet has a far greater effect on weight loss/weight gain than workout out does.