Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: PSA: One line answers

[ QUOTE ]
What about some kind of system, lets name it the "EV-counter" where you can give people +1 or -1 depending on their posts.
Ive seen some forums where they give 'karma-points' like that. I don't think it would be a bad idea here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. +1 EV for you.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:02 PM

It was discussed as a replacement for the * system in OOT, the idea was ultimately disgarded
Old 09-18-2007, 02:04 PM

after thinking about it - i actually don't mind having to ask for more info from someone who says "shove wtf". rather get that, and possibly a follow up than poor advice or nothing at all.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:07 PM

you better make sure you moderate this properly. a lot of (my) one line answers come from the flow of the thread.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about some kind of system, lets name it the "EV-counter" where you can give people +1 or -1 depending on their posts.
Ive seen some forums where they give 'karma-points' like that. I don't think it would be a bad idea here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not available with this software. Might be available when they change over to a new system, which I think is coming up soon.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you on that point 0524432 but I think when you add it in the opening post that alot of people will base their comments on the results.
What would be better is to post the result after the discussion is over, and then you can see if you went wrong somewhere yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, when I'm looking at a hand, I read the HH and then decide, or at least try to decide, what I would do, and, because it's often two different things [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], try to decide the best play.

Then I like to see the results because each hand is a little like a murder mystery and I like to see who-done-it.

Cody
Old 09-18-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you on that point 0524432 but I think when you add it in the opening post that alot of people will base their comments on the results.
What would be better is to post the result after the discussion is over, and then you can see if you went wrong somewhere yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, that would make for an awfully bland 2p2 with a sudden surge of uNL genius'
Old 09-18-2007, 02:50 PM

All,

I am glad that my post has generated this discussion because I think that it is important.

Basically, I view the forum as a learning tool where we sit down and discuss things that none of us really know the true best answer to. Whats more, we often find that there are NO right answers to our questions, just good logic. So in this way, someone saying "call" may just be acting on feel, or impulse, or whatever.

But think about it this way. If you were discussing a hand with a friend, face to face, and he says "so what should I do on this flop?" and you say "call" - he's not just going to say "oh...ok" he's going to say "why?" Thats the reason we post hands, because of that "why". If I was sure every action I made was correct just because I felt it, why bother posting it here? I don't want you to tell me what YOU "feel" in one word about the hand, I want you to explain why you would take a certain action, as opposed to another one.

Thats why we have this forum, to expose ourselves to different thought processes and approaches so that we can modify and maybe improve our own. "Call" tells me NOTHING. All that tells me is that you want to call. Why? Just because you felt like it? Because you don't know what to do otherwise? Because you are a calling station? Thats what fish do. They take actions because they have no idea what to do otherwise, and they can't back their plays up with any kind of logic.

Have you ever asked a fish why they made a boneheaded play? I have. I bet pot on three streets into a guy who backdoored a flush, at the Gutshot in London. He called with no pair no draw on the flop. When I asked him why he called on the flop, he shrugged. "I dunno". Thats a classic fish right there - no idea why he called. When you give a one line answer, thats how it comes across - it makes it look like you are shrugging and saying you dont know.

This is 2p2. Every single one of you is here, in this forum, because you want to improve your game. That is simply not going to happen unless you put some minimal effort into the replies you give on this board. I'm not talking about writing essays, I'm talking about answering the "because". Justify your actions. Some of you may think I am over-reacting, but whats the point of having a board with the reputation of being the foremost authority on poker instruction if you cant learn anything from its members?

[ QUOTE ]
you better make sure you moderate this properly. a lot of (my) one line answers come from the flow of the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, this is fine, and I think we are all able to distinguish between what constitutes outright laziness, and what is part of a colloquial discussion of a hand. I'm not a grammar nazi, I'm here to supervise the quality of the responses to threads and keep the noise to a minimum.

You all know what I'm talking about.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:52 PM

a. The results dont matter, dont post them
b. Ama is right
c. Very few have a sample size that makes BB/100 relevant, and on top of that, when we start talking about win rates dick swinging ensues
d. I usually will only post a one word answer if it has already been explained or if I feel it has value (i.e. I can give you a fish, or teach you to fish)
Old 09-18-2007, 03:12 PM

I think it's goot that ama raised this , people who make longer replies have to think more and put the why process in to words which is often hard -for me anyway.

Some things to do
<ul type="square"> [*] Give a range for villan given the action [*]If it's an AI flop/ situation combo draw vs made hand e.t.c on the flop pokerstove &amp; EV calc FTW [*]Give an alternative to the main line others suggest[*]If it's a flop/turn situation, outline future potential/likely street action e.g. what if a scare card hits.[/list]
All these things help your own game and generate better discussion.

Though I think requoting what someone earlier has said should still be allowed as if a few say the same and really is only 1 line [to take] or it's ultra standard like the ones I often I post when running bad and unsure [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I think as long as people aren't chronic 1 liners and elaborate in some of their posts then its o.k.

Back to teh footie now.
Closed Thread