Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 11:57 PM

Default Anyone getting sick of Michael Konik talking through his crapfactory?

This guy has absolutely no clue about poker. All his comments are based around the fact that each player knows the others hands and his views on how they should have played a hand are ridiculous because of that fact. He assumes that no matter when a player opens his mouth he instantly is giving away either the strength or weakness of their hands.

He gives no credit to unknown players when they are in a hand and never faults the known players play.

There should be a universal rule that all poker shows should be commentated on by Gabe Kaplan or at least a Gabe Kaplan impersonater (there must be a few).
Old 08-08-2006, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Anyone getting sick of Michael Konik talking through his crapfacto

Konik is horrible.

I agree with your assessment that he always assumes the known tournament player is making the right play.

He's also way too risk averse. He seems to think no one should ever be all-in for any reason.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:15 AM

Lederer and Hellmuth are excellent commentators, as is Kaplan

Konik is a booked up VVP
Old 08-08-2006, 07:02 AM

Default Re: Anyone getting sick of Michael Konik talking through his crapfactory?

He's totally inept. In addition to the flaws already mentioned, he places far too much emphasis on physical tells, and he almost always advocates slowplaying anything better than TP, regardless of the texture of the board, size of the pot, tournament situation, etc. The one exception is when someone actually HAS a flush draw, for example, vs. a set. Then he says that "it's far too risky to slowplay the set." But if there's a 2-flush on the board, and no one has the draw, then he always says that the guy with the set should slowplay. What a joke.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:55 AM

he sux as a commentator. If you have a lot of time to kill his books are an ok read.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Anyone getting sick of Michael Konik talking through his crapfactory?

I can not stand they guy. The worst poker commentator on TV by far. About a year ago he made one of the stupidest statements I have ever heard. Two players were remaining to see the flop and each was 50% pre-flop ( 2 2 vs A J suited or something like that.) He says in that breathless excited tone he uses " they are 50 50 so the best player will this one" I thought WTF I guess a flop of 2 2 A or 2 A J and a turn of a J or A will not make a difference. What an idiot.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:32 PM

He is miles ahead of VVP in terms of actual strategy and calling the action right.

You have to take into consideration that he has never been much of a poker player either (I think HendonMob has one small cash in a $100 tournament for him).

I was pretty annoyed at the Pokerdome Challenge when he told me I let my big chiplead "slip away" because I wasn't constantly pressing with junk hands like 92o and J3o short-handed when A) the action was almost always raised 4 and 5-handed B)stacks were shallow so I wasn't going to get anyone to fold any hand they opened with with a re-raise C)hands he said I should raise with have absolutely no potential whatsoever post-flop

He is, however, a wonderful (horrible) jazz musician
Old 08-08-2006, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There should be a universal rule that all poker shows should be commentated on by Gabe Kaplan or at least a Gabe Kaplan impersonater (there must be a few).

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, Kaplan should be required to tell at least one story every show that starts with "Did I ever tell you about my uncle snooky/rizzie/etc..."
Old 08-08-2006, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There should be a universal rule that all poker shows should be commentated on by Gabe Kaplan or at least a Gabe Kaplan impersonater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paging Norman Chad...
Old 08-10-2006, 02:33 AM

Funny, I wandered into this forum to start up the same thread ripping on Konik. How Fox Sports hired him for the Monte Carlo Millions tournament I'm not sure.