Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Cell phones at tables

Another thing that is not cool is cellphone use at or really near the table. What is the procedure for someone using their cell at the table? Not allowed right? Usually I hear dealers say that they can have them there but they can't use them while in a hand. Fine, I keep mine with me but if I need to make a call or answer a call I get up and go outside. There was a guy right next to me yesterday(same O8 table from former post)that was on his cell for a good 20 mins doing biz but he was sitting out. Fine. He was still in his seat with the seat pushed back a few feet from the table but it was really a distraction. The dealer said nothing nor did anyone else at the table. I should have said something to the guy or dealer. That was my mistake if it really bugged me that much. I think there should be no use of phones at the table at all. Thoughts?
Old 02-07-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Cell phones at tables

Borgata if you are on a phone and the button's second card is dealt (or any point after that), your hand is dead immediately.

Same rules apply to text messaging.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:29 PM

So a guy not playing is talking into a cellphone and you find that distracting so cell phones shouldn't be allowed at the table.

Suppose this same gentlemen pushed back from the table and had a conversation with a friend who was standing there. Wouldn't this be just as distracting? Should we not allow talking at the tables?

I don't get why people get so uptight about cellphone use. I understand if a player is trying to play and talk and slows the game (but I object to the player doing anything that slows down the game not just cell phone use). I generally find that if it would be reasonable for a person to be speaking to another person in a situation, its reasonable for him to speak to a cell phone.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Borgata if you are on a phone and the button's second card is dealt (or any point after that), your hand is dead immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're only this strict in the tournaments. Cash games are a little more lenient.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:33 PM

I have mine at the table only for taking hand notes for trip reports after I've folded the subsequent hand.

Does anyone have a problem with that?
Old 02-07-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I generally find that if it would be reasonable for a person to be speaking to another person in a situation, its reasonable for him to speak to a cell phone.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be true if people spoke into a cell phone at the same volume as when speaking to another person. Few do.

Also, someone standing there is also aware of the surrounding context. For instance, if you turn from a poker table to talk to friends, they can see the table and stop talking to tell you "your blind, man," and then resume. Your phone partner on the other hand, just keeps on talking.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:49 PM

As per usual, it depends on the house.

The bigger rooms in Vegas have no problem with cell phone use at the table (in cash games), so long as it does not slow down the game (Venetian, Wynn, among others).

Somne rooms are on the other side, and don't even allow you to use the phone in the room (let alone at the table) or have the phone, turned off, on the table, period (Monte Carlo and Hilton are very strict on this).

Generally, it depends on the house. I don't have a problem with its use at the table for quick calls so long as the game is not slowed down. if it is going to be a long call, proper etiquette would be to get up from the table (this is what I do).
Old 02-07-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing that is not cool is cellphone use at or really near the table. What is the procedure for someone using their cell at the table? Not allowed right? Usually I hear dealers say that they can have them there but they can't use them while in a hand. Fine, I keep mine with me but if I need to make a call or answer a call I get up and go outside. There was a guy right next to me yesterday(same O8 table from former post)that was on his cell for a good 20 mins doing biz but he was sitting out. Fine. He was still in his seat with the seat pushed back a few feet from the table but it was really a distraction. The dealer said nothing nor did anyone else at the table. I should have said something to the guy or dealer. That was my mistake if it really bugged me that much. I think there should be no use of phones at the table at all. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

What about I Pods?

IMO, they cause a bigger disturbance than cell phones. These young punks with the shades on & the Ipod blaring cause alot of distrubance at the table because they have to ask IN A LOUD VOICE what the bet was or too busy fiddling with that thing to keep up with the action.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:46 PM

I was actually going to post this question today - but I was curious about Foxwoods in particular. Last week my cousin was supposed to call me when he arrived, so I had my cell on vibrate in my pocket. He called and I took the call only to tell him what table number I was at so he could find me. I kept it quiet and brief - but I wasn't sure if I was actually breaking the house rule by being on it at all. The dealer did not say anything to me, but he might have just been letting me slide cause I was quick and I am not a d*ck. This was a cash game, btw.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:53 PM

The rule at FW's is that if you're on the phone, you should push away from the table. Some floors and dealers are lenient others are rules Nazis and ask you to stand.

Anyway it's better than the old rule where you had to step into the stairwells or otherwise out of the poker room to use the phone. I have no problem with others being on the phone at the table where it's allowed as long as they pay attention to the action.