Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Muddy waters

Poker players are a special group in that they are more intelligent than average, have more time on their hands than average (to think about bigger issues and not just boring day-to-day drudgery), and don't have a problem with negative-sum win-lose situations.

This makes for a unique type of political discussion that you won't find at non-gambling forums.

Having said that, I can respect the fact that the owners of a business get to decide what's best for the business, and if that includes scrapping the politics forum than so be it.

It would be a shame, though, if the politics forum got scrapped for personal reasons and not business reasons.

As an aside, I wonder if MM believes all types of hate is bad, or just some types. For example, is it OK to hate anti-semites? How about anti-anti-semites? What about anti-anti-anti-semites? Etc.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:22 PM

I'd like to post in the politics forum but I'm not nearly long-winded enough. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2006, 01:27 PM

Default Insights

[ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiosity, why come to a Poker/Gambling forum to argue about politics?

[/ QUOTE ]I often discuss politics online. The most enlightening discussions have been, for me, with conservative/neo-conservative/outright reactionay posters posting on a certain blackjack website. And it wasn't even close. We talked in depth about the game -- and then we trained, for recreation, our minds to the more mundane matters.

I came for the game; I stayed for the hors d' oeuvres. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] And why would it be surprising? Intelligent people make for intelligent (and educational) discussion. I have learned a lot by talking things over (whilst exchanging strong words [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) with the likes of BruceZ, niss, adios, MMMMMM, vulturesrow, pvn, Borodog, and a host of others. At the very least, I'm getting a valuable insight abt how people think who hold different views to mine.

An' ain't that good for mah pokah? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to post in the politics forum but I'm not nearly long-winded enough. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps you should be adressing the capacity of your cranial cavity instead of that of your lungs?

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2006, 01:38 PM

Default Intellectual courage

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be curious to see a particular post [by Cyrus], or sentence, that was seen as anti-semitic, or shows his "true colors." I was very sensitive to anti-semitism on the forum when I was moderating and I didn't see that from Cyrus.

[/ QUOTE ]Thank you, Andy, for speaking up.

And I take this opportunity to salute the stand of two posters, among many others, two posters with whom I hold BTW the greatest disagreements abt the Middle East situation [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], namely Felix_Nietsche and Niss. Which is what makes their position all the more worhy of kudos. Boys, your stand for allowing dialogue to rule the day is a shining example of intellectual courage.

Niss post
Felix_Nietsche post
Old 07-28-2006, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps you should be adressing the capacity of your cranial cavity instead of that of your lungs?

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha possibly, but I'd still like RedLion to tutor you guys on how to be succinct. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Insights

Fair enough. I was just curious. Your reasoning makes sense.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha possibly, but I'd still like RedLion to tutor you guys on how to be succinct. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

....hehe, probably not a bad idea, but not sure about RL being the appropriate tutor?

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2006, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....hehe, probably not a bad idea, but not sure about RL being the appropriate tutor?

[/ QUOTE ]
Whoa mang, you're obviously not familiar with his body of work. I don't think he's EVER made a post longer than one line of text. I wonder if occasionally he has a two-line thought but forces himself to edit it down to one or not post at all?

IRL he is probably the type of guy that is quiet around most but once you really get to know him he won't shut the [censored] up. Just a guess.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Whoa mang, you're obviously not familiar with his body of work. I don't think he's EVER made a post longer than one line of text. I wonder if occasionally he has a two-line thought but forces himself to edit it down to one or not post at all?

IRL he is probably the type of guy that is quiet around most but once you really get to know him he won't shut the [censored] up. Just a guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

au contraire, mon ami!

I am well aware of his proclivity for brevity! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

In all seriousness though, it really is somewhat difficult to condense complicated thoughts into simple statements without leaving out essential info.

I'd be the first to admit that I struggle with it, and always attempt to edit/revise what I'm writing in order to achieve clarity.
Closed Thread