Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Unusual and/or disgusting beverages

What are some of the more unusual and/or terrible beverages that you've tried?

One of my friends is obsessed with exotic drinks, and so every year when we get together to draft our fantasy football team, he assembles a group of beverages to "draft" as well. These are what we tried this year:

1st place - White Gourd Juice

This was pretty much the unanimous choice as the least disgusting drink in the draft, which tells you something. It was actually pretty terrible, though. It had a sour/bitter aftertaste that stuck with me for a few hours.

2. Artichoke Soda

Sounds horrific, but the 2nd place guy actually enjoyed this drink and said it was sweeter than you'd expect.

3. Yogurt drink with tapioca

[no picture available]

This was a boba-like drink, which seems like it would be good, but the picture on the can was terrifying. The taster reported that the drink itself went down smoothly, but that the tapioca pearls were not fun to chew on.

4. Sterchlia with Basil Seed

We have had Basil Seed drinks in the contest before, and they are always terrible. This one had a particularly disgusting photo on the front with what appear to be whole avocados floating in murky green juice littered with seeds. The seeds were black in real life. I would not have been able to finish this drink.

5. Wonderfarm White Fungus

Ingredients: Water, Sugar, White Fungus. White Fungus, or "bird's nest," is actually the gelatinous vomit that certain birds use to form their nests. This drink was sampled but not finished. Apparently the taste is sweet and not unpleasant, but the texture is phlegm-like.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Unusual and/or disgusting beverages

I am bit like your friend, although it generally only applies to sodas (I'm the only person I know who has had melon Mello Yello, which I've only ever seen once, at some random gas station in the middle of nowhere in New Hampshire).

I recently had some "Ice Cucumber Pepsi" that my friend brought back from Japan for me. Pretty good; you can definitely taste the cucumber but it's masked by the sweetness. The after taste is a bit like cinnamon.

-McGee
Old 08-27-2007, 03:00 PM

I got bubble gum-flavored soda at some retro 50's style diner one time and it's one of the most disgusting things I've ever tasted.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:07 PM

Jolly Rancher Cinnamon Cherry Fire Soda

At the first sip, I was thinking that it wasn't as bad as I expected. By the end, it was painful. Spicy cinnamon sodas with a hint of cherry don't really work.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:17 PM

I see that the white fungus drink image didn't show up. Here's a pic.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I recently had some "Ice Cucumber Pepsi" that my friend brought back from Japan for me. Pretty good; you can definitely taste the cucumber but it's masked by the sweetness. The after taste is a bit like cinnamon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in Japan a month and a half ago and had a can of Aloe Drink. Mildly sweet, a little tart, and chunks of translucent stuff floating around in it that I assume are aloe.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:28 PM

There are a couple of Japanese drinks that have names that are pretty gross. First there's Calpis (which is pronounced almost like "cowpiss"). Apparently for non-Japanese markets, they sell it as Calpico, but the initial association is too much for me and I have never developed a taste for this drink even though it's hugely popular in Japan and my girlfriend loves the stuff.

Also, a gatorade-esque drink called "Pocari Sweat". Why anyone would put "Sweat" in the name of a drink, I do not know, but that has always grossed me out about this drink too.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:29 PM

My favorite drink as a child...haven't seen it sold in stores in 10+ years.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:39 PM

If you are ever in ATL, go to the World of Coke.

Cool exhibits, and at the end you get to try all of these different beverages from around the world. All under the coke umbrella of course.

Some of them are the grossest things in the world, and i can't understand how people buy them. Some are pretty cool though.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in Japan a month and a half ago and had a can of Aloe Drink. Mildly sweet, a little tart, and chunks of translucent stuff floating around in it that I assume are aloe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw this at the little general store at the Commerce a couple of weeks ago. Despite being quite tanked, I deemed it not worthy of consumption.