Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Help me plan my Vegas trip

Mods, if this is wrong thread please move.

Cliff notes: Going to Vegas for first time with wife, need non-poker activities to keep her entertained so she'll want to go back again some time.

In late August I am taking my wife to Vegas for an anniversary vacation. We have both been to Vegas several times but never with each other.

In fact, this will be my first trip to Vegas with a lady companion; all of my previous trips to Vegas have been with guy friends, and the schedule has been something like this:

18-20 hours a day of poker, with breaks to eat
4-6 hours a night of sleep

I've never been to a show, or a nice restaurant, or really done anything in Vegas except play cardz. Obv. this will not work with my wife, who plays slots a bit but doesn't really gamble much (and does not play poker).

We are staying at the Bellagio on the poker room rate, which means I have to play 6 hours a day. I assume that means 18 hours total because we're staying 3 nights. I will probably just grind 4-8 or 8-16 limit until I get up $500 or so, then sit at 2-5 NL. I'm sure I will easily play more than 6 hours a day, but I also need to build in enough entertainment so my wife doesn't get bored laying by the pool all day.

So I need some recommendations for restaurants, shows, and other entertainment.

We arrive around noon on Saturday and leave mid-afternoon on Tuesday. Anniversary is Monday.

We are definitely planning to see Phantom of the Opera at the Venetian. She has already seen "O" and we're pondering Blue Man Group. What other shows?

Should I try to get to Delmonico? Where else? I have some monies but I'm not exactly a high roller.

Also, what does playing many hours at the Bellagio mean in terms of comps other than the poker room rate? I heard that I can use the poker hostesses to get me VIP seats at shows, etc.

Suggestions appreciated.

tl;dr
Old 07-13-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Help me plan my Vegas trip

I will use this thread to ask OOT about the appeal of the BMG. I've never seen them but I've watched various things they've done and could never handle more than a minute of it. What is the reason for their popularity?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:02 PM

Pls eat at Bouchon (in teh venetian), I searched the site here for some reviews, but there really wasnt an in depth one, just "it sucks" or "its the best place ever". Ive been reading about french cooking lately, and actually made some coq au vin the other night, and would be interested in an in depth review of the place from a non-critic type.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:04 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...;gonew=1#UNREAD
Old 07-13-2007, 03:17 PM

Beatles Love, Spamalot and The Producers are other shows worth checking into. If she is adventurous try an afternoon at Fly Away

You can also helicopter to the Grand Canyon or head out to Red Rocks.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:33 PM

1. make friends w/ good2cu.
2. ???
3. profit.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:42 PM

There is this place called Tix4tonight...there are a few locations on the strip. They sell tickets at half the normal price at noon of each day for that night's performances. Also Ticketmaster has $50 Cirque tickets on special now...these are normally over $100 shows.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/summerofcirque
Old 07-13-2007, 04:00 PM

I haven't seen the BMG show at the Venetian, but I did see them at the Luxor. It is a really neat show to see. Especially if you are a music fan. It is mostly music, but there are some other gags and whatnot that are quite entertaining also.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I try to get to Delmonico? Where else? I have some monies but I'm not exactly a high roller.

tl;dr

[/ QUOTE ]

try Fiornios (sp?) in MGM for their grilled octopus with a nice bottle of red wine...gets wifey in the mood guaranteed...
Old 07-14-2007, 12:15 AM

Sounds like you have the right idea for night life, and just need to go beyond hanging out at the pool during the day.

Easy answer is cliche but should work anyway - spa, salon, shopping.

Get her an appointment for a massage during the afternoon for one day (Saturday or Sunday). These things are usually 50 minutes, but let her get there early, she can shower and then lounge around - there is usually an espresso machine and fresh fruit and stuff while you wait for your appointment. After she can take a steam, use the sauna, whatever.

On the other day, point her to the Fashion Show mall across from the Wynn. Tell her she needs to buy a new dress and shoes for your anniversary dinner on Monday. Remember to tell her how great it looks. She'll probably buy some new lingerie, too, tiger.

Then for Monday not too long before dinner, have an appointment ready for her at the salon - they even offer makeup. She'll eat the [censored] up.

She feels pampered, you've freed up your afternoons with no guilt (and damage of around $150-$200 each day, likely).

Get reservations for the Eiffel Tower restaurant for Monday.