Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 10-24-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Is set over set normal in omaha?

It seems quite alot of the time when i play omaha and flop a set, my opponent flops a higher set.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Is set over set normal in omaha?

lol, I don't know if you want to call it 'common' but it is not out of the ordinary at all.

Obviously as you're being dealt 4 cards you have a much higher possibility of hitting a set than in Hold'em.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:15 PM

It happens much more frequently in omaha to be sure. You should be able to get away from some sets with no redraws. This is especially true in multi-way pots with passive, non-tricky opponents (any low stakes game).
Old 10-24-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It happens much more frequently in omaha to be sure. You should be able to get away from some sets with no redraws. This is especially true in multi-way pots with passive, non-tricky opponents (any low stakes game).

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah what he said ^
Old 10-24-2007, 08:38 PM

I don't have the statisitics on this but it doesn't happen very frequently.

However, what you need to know is this, if you have bottom set and you have a board that really dosen't look like the villian is on a straight or flush draw, and they actually reraise you -- very likely the villian has a higher set -- best to fold.

If you have a board with straight and flush draw and you have bottom set and villian reraises you --- fold.

Middle set is what is the bummer... haven't learned exactly what to do with this myself... but bottom sets are killers -- be willing-- more than willing-- to kiss them goodbye in my opinion... more trouble than they are worth!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have the statisitics on this but it doesn't happen very frequently.

However, what you need to know is this, if you have bottom set and you have a board that really dosen't look like the villian is on a straight or flush draw, and they actually reraise you -- very likely the villian has a higher set -- best to fold.

If you have a board with straight and flush draw and you have bottom set and villian reraises you --- fold.

Middle set is what is the bummer... haven't learned exactly what to do with this myself... but bottom sets are killers -- be willing-- more than willing-- to kiss them goodbye in my opinion... more trouble than they are worth!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Janelle, good to see you helping out in the Beginners Forum (PokerBarnett from the Beginners game on Monday here).

I do agree, however disagree with your comment on a board with straight and flush draws and you have bottom set to fold. If it's a straight draw - you have nearly the exact same outs as the villain would for hitting a boat as they would hit their straight. Generally I don't call all-ins or 3 bets here with bottom set, but I don't always automatically fold.

The problem in omaha really are sets. Learning how to play them and how to either extract value or when to fold them is a very key part to Omaha because they may not happen every single hand, they do happen quite often (I'd probably say ~5 or 10 hands out of a 100, give or take 3).

There really is no set way to play sets because 9/10 times the play will have to be board dependent and read based for someone to say, "Yes raise all in" or "Easy fold";
Old 10-24-2007, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's a straight draw - you have nearly the exact same outs as the villain would for hitting a boat as they would hit their straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain can have up to 20 outs on a big wrap.
You have 7 outs for your boat on the flop, 10 on the turn.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:41 PM

Hero: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain is 60-40 favorite.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If it's a straight draw - you have nearly the exact same outs as the villain would for hitting a boat as they would hit their straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain can have up to 20 outs on a big wrap.
You have 7 outs for your boat on the flop, 10 on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Barnett, I was saying if reraised you should let it go because to me it means they have as indicated above a wrap or worse a BETTER set. I didn't mention the better set but this was what I was trying to convey.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

You should definately POT the flop but then fold to a reraise as you are likely to be a dog.

His question as I understand it was to figure out when he should let a set go -- this is a situation where you should IMO.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain is 60-40 favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thats right what I mean - good example.