Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 07:38 AM

Default Why do i keep doing it? Satellite guys help me out.

Stars 3r to the million. i have in vested $6.30. i rebought as soon as we started and had a top 15 stack at the end of the rebuy so i opted not to add on.

Anyway, on to the stupidity.

15 Players get a seat. 16-31 get $13 or something.

I had been pretty close to the bubble boy for a while now. picking my spots moving in against medium stacks to retain a decent stack.

We are down to 18 players i am 13 in chips with 56k blinds at 4k 8k. There is 1 small stack and the other 17-14 are very close to my chip coun. i push KJo from EP into a medium stack.

A big stack timebanks from the button and calls with AK, i'm out.

Help me.

This is the 2nd time i've been retarded in a satellite on the bubble. last time was the Bodog $3r to the $109 where i pushed into the CL with 4 left and 3 people getting paid.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Why do i keep doing it? Satellite guys help me out.

I'm not going to comment on your push but ALWAYS addon.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:49 AM

What to do? Well, pushing KJo from EP on a 9-handed table (I assume, with 18 left) is obviously not too good (without knowing anything about this situation specifically). The way to avoid retarded moves is uh well, don't do them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And oh yeah, always take the add-on.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:51 AM

reg why would i add-on in this spot? surely it doesn't hold enough equity to be worthwhile. Being top 15 in chips with 14k or whatever it was and the avg at 5.5k adding on seems like spewing $$$$$ to me.

I realize the addon is a no brainer most times, i think being in the top 10% of the field negates the value of the addon.

Also please do comment on the end game push thats my big problem.

My line of thinking with the push was that only 3 or 4 hands could call me, and 2 of those shouldn't(AA, KK, AK, QQ). Also pushing into the mid stack is correct isn't it?

If i take the pot down uncontested i am now safely in the top 10 for chips and can just wait. another full orbit crushes me, and i can easily be on the wrong side of the bubble.

Is this wrong? Help please, i just cost myself $200.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
reg why would i add-on in this spot? surely it doesn't hold enough equity to be worthwhile. Being top 15 in chips with 14k or whatever it was and the avg at 5.5k adding on seems like spewing $$$$$ to me.

I realize the addon is a no brainer most times, i think being in the top 10% of the field negates the value of the addon.

Also please do comment on the end game push thats my big problem.

My line of thinking with the push was that only 3 or 4 hands could call me, and 2 of those shouldn't(AA, KK, AK, QQ). Also pushing into the mid stack is correct isn't it?

If i take the pot down uncontested i am now safely in the top 10 for chips and can just wait. another full orbit crushes me, and i can easily be on the wrong side of the bubble.

Is this wrong? Help please, i just cost myself $200.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you have over-simplified your analysis. Your line is correct for a BSB type of situation, but it is absolutely flawed from EP, no matter what size stack follows. Seriously, other than stealing the blinds, what good can come from a KJo push?

What you are missing is the much higher probability of being dominated when called. AK-AJ plus JJ+ are all potential callers based upon stack sizes. A shortie might call with 99+. In other words, what is CALLING your push that you are way ahead of?

If you want to steal the blinds from EP, I'd suggest T9s as a better hand to gamble with. However, in a sat, you really should not be playing much of anything from EP. Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Adding 15% to your stack (especially for 3$) is far from spewing. Read the Anthology threads on rebuys/sats, I believe it's mentioned there that you should basically always add-on unless you have like 10% of total chips in play or something retarded like that.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:52 AM

"especially for 3$"

i believe this to have 0 relevance to the discussion. say it were a 200 rebuy. the same principles should apply.

I will search for info on the add-on. I just don't see it as good in this spot.

beach,

My ep raise was targeted at the mid sized bb who happened to be to my immediate right. i guess i overvalued his stack size and undervalued my hand/table position.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:54 AM

With 4k/8k blinds and a 56k stack you can almost definitely fold into a seat here. Don't take risks like this, especially with a mediocre hand like KJo into a full table from EP. As others already said, you are never way ahead of any hand when you are called and you are taking the maxiumum amount of risk by pushing from early position.

Based on how you posted this, you know the play was retarded. Don't do it. Simple as that.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"especially for 3$"

i believe this to have 0 relevance to the discussion. say it were a 200 rebuy. the same principles should apply.

[/ QUOTE ]
In general this would be true, my comment was directed at the fact that this was a $3r sat and not one of the 8.8/10r ones, meaning an add-on gets you more bang for your buck. Sorry for not expressing that clearly.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"especially for 3$"

I will search for info on the add-on. I just don't see it as good in this spot.

beach,

My ep raise was targeted at the mid sized bb who happened to be to my immediate right. i guess i overvalued his stack size and undervalued my hand/table position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just accidentally deleted the post on addons I was writing so I'm just going to ask you to trust me on this one: always addon.

There's a lot of Stars/Party specific stuff that I wouldn't fully endorse about rebuys in the 2+2 dogma, but always adding on is unquestionably correct.