Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 12:49 AM

Default Weak-tight-dumb? with AQo on the Stuper bubble

64 left 63 get paid.

I really, really hate how I played this hand.

Villain's been reasonably aggressive, but I'm not sure exactly WHAT range to assign to him here with all the factors involved. The more I think about it, the more I think it's either a push PF or fold...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB (t7541)
BB (t16089)
UTG (t22308)
UTG+1 (t16153)
Hero (t12759)
MP2 (t3845)
CO (t13326)
Button (t16490)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t2400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t2400, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: (t5080) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t19868 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t24948
Old 10-19-2006, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Weak-tight-dumb? with AQo on the Stuper bubble

Yeh, if you are going to fold this flop, you should fold preflop. You should call the flop. Villain may be bluffing, and you have pot odds, over cards, a gutshot, and a fairly high backdoor. Don't call if you are going to play weak/tight postflop.

If villain had any legitimate raising hand, he is probably ahead on this flop, but you still have pot odds and outs. Plus villain could easily not have a legitimate raising hand, and you could be ahead with ace high.
Also, don't generally call off a big chunk of your stack with AQo. Part of the problem with flat calling is also that villain is OOP postflop, so he can bet out or push, and you don't know if it's a big stack bully play.

Ordinarily, fold AQo to an UTG raise. Here UTG is a big stack and may be stealing on the bubble. The push has problems, as there are several players to act. However, I would push, but that is how I play bubbles.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
push pf or fold

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, either Villain is raising kinda light cuz of the bubble and you should shove or he is playing tight and its an easy muck.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
push pf or fold

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, either Villain is raising kinda light cuz of the bubble and you should shove or he is playing tight and its an easy muck.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, push or fold because you have the right stack size for a push with folding equity and AQ is better to push with than see a flop with.

It is a tricky situation with an UTG raiser and you are in third position. I would automuck this if the raise wasn't from a big stack right on the bubble.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:47 AM

Agreed with the push/fold pf choice. The only thing I'll add is that AQ likes to see all 5 &amp; NOT be up against AK when doing so.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:42 PM

huh, interesting. I automuck this nearly ever time. Perhaps I should revisit AQo.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
huh, interesting. I automuck this nearly ever time. Perhaps I should revisit AQo.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is normally a fold, but only a push because the UTG raise is from the chip leader right on the bubble.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is normally a fold, but only a push because the UTG raise is from the chip leader right on the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree with push/or/fold approach. My dumb play is what happens when one plays in tourneys above his bankroll.... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I'm leaning towards a push though and I think I'll be flipping more often than not when called...
Old 10-19-2006, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the big reasons I do fold this most of the time is BECAUSE he's the chip leader and he can bust my azz. I might be giving guys like that too much credit.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:01 PM

Reads matter. Has he been abusing the bubble up to this point? If so, shove-a-love-love.

The flop push makes me feel icky, and I don't know what to do. I don't know that I could call with A-high, but that doesn't mean it's right.