Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 08:53 PM

Default Player types

Hi
Don't know if this is the correct place for this question but i'l give it a try. Is there a post on the site that gives advice on how to play against certain player types ie loose passive aggresive, tight aggresive passive etc. I have recently purchased Poker Tracker and am using the autorate stats found on this forum. Although i find it useful i am still unsure how to use the stats given to my best advantage,ie post flop aggresion factor etc. The books i have read are the theory of poker, small stakes holdem and play poker like the pro's, if there is a book that gives advice on player types i would also be interested.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Player types

Psychology of poker gives ome info on player types and how to play against them. I'm sure other posters here will have some other suggestions as well....
Old 01-31-2006, 09:33 PM

Here's a quick overview of player types.

Honestly, unless you have a large hand database in Poker Tracker, don't worry much about using it to determine your opponent's playing style.

Again, PT is usually going to be most useful to people starting out in analyzing their own statistics. Check the micro limits FAQ for a guide on what your stats should be.

Most books will talk a bit about what type of player your opponent is when taking actions. Such as, don't try bluffing if you're up against a player who will call all the way (that is a loose/passive player) and don't go to war with a rock (a tight/passive player). They may not come out and all someone a tight/aggressive or loose/aggressive player, but you'll find references all throughout the literature.

Regards,

T
Old 01-31-2006, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Psychology of Poker by Dr. Alan Schoonmaker

[/ QUOTE ]

Read it. It is exactly what you're looking for.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Honestly, unless you have a large hand database in Poker Tracker, don't worry much about using it to determine your opponent's playing style.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think it's helpful when you're thinking about playing a hand or how to play it to have an idea of the way the table plays and particular players, but like everything else, that's just part of an entire context of information guiding your decisions. I also agree with SheridanCat that what you know about yourself and your own tendencies is just as important as "typing" opponents.

Phil Gordon's Little Green Book has a section where he discusses his strategy against certain types of players.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Psychology of Poker by Dr. Alan Schoonmaker

[/ QUOTE ]

Read it. It is exactly what you're looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

ding..ding...ding...ding