Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 08:23 PM

Default Common problematic situation

Let's say we are SB and raise KT, tough lag in BB calls. Flop is something like 278 and he calls a bet. Turn is a 9. What is the best line from this point?
This is the board on which continuation turn bet will get raised a lot, by pairs draws and assorted garbage alike. If I check I am also basically guaranteed to see a bet. I'm usually lost in these scenarios with a hand that has some showdown value, a decent draw but is guaranteed to face agression.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Common problematic situation

If hes raising it a lot, most of the time you still have the best hand, so let him. Id rather do that vs this kind of player than check/call.

I also checkraise here some, which is prolly bad, but I like to spew and give metagame as an excuse
Old 07-20-2006, 12:01 AM

Let me know when u have the answer to this cause it happends all the time to me. I probably check and call because i dont want to get raised with outs making it necessary to call. The problem with check raising is you probably have to follow it up with a river bet if he calls. I just call and usually give up on the river. But I dont think there is an easy way to play this especially oop.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:32 AM

i usually juct check call because he can really have anything and you pretty much ALWAYS get raised.

if your afraid of folding best hand on river, cant you decide ahead of time to donk any ace or queen? not that i do, but it seems like a decent thought.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:33 AM

I would either check-call, bet-3-bet, or check-raise. I wouldn't bet-call. I also check-raise a pair of 8GK+ here pretty often.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:02 AM

This is an interesting spot that I hope gets more replies.

Personally, I would bet/call here. There is some chance the LAG will fold, and you do have a lot of outs even if you get raised. There's even a small chance that you'll get to showdown and win unimproved. If you had a monster draw on this board I think check/raising becomes more appealing, but I normally don't like doing this play h/u against a LAG who is likely to pay me off unless I have a hand that I know I want to showdown. Bet/3betting seems like way too much action to be throwing around with this hand. Check/calling doesn't seem horrible, but it does seem to label you as holding a T.

Just my opinion...
Old 07-20-2006, 04:41 AM

i like check/call the turn and check/fold the river ui. you have some showdown value and he may check behind on some rivers. yes he will almost always bet the turn and take his shot at winning the hand there, but not too many tags will fire again on the river with just ace high or less so you can pretty easily fold there.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:03 AM

If he will bluff both streets then ch/call the turn and river. If he won't, then check with the intention of calling one and only one street.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he will bluff both streets then ch/call the turn and river. If he won't, then check with the intention of calling one and only one street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would play like this most of the time. Against a LAG we do not need to worry about giving a free card as he will prevent himself from getting one anyway.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:41 PM

OESD. Bet.