Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Project Update and Challenge from Mod to MM&B

My datings site is comming along pretty good. Ive worked out most of the bugs. I still have to fix the zip code search feature. This has realy been a pain and I may have to hire someone for this. I am going to install the instant messaging software in the next few days and hopefully integrate a voice mail feature. Then comes upgrading the chat and making a new forum. There is still plenty to do.

I have done very little promoting, but I have around 300 users who are generating 15,000 page views a day. I didnt meet the april first deadline for the million doller challenge but I hope to have "EVERYTHING" pretty much done by the first on next month. Then I can just work on promoting.

My friend is going to use the knowlege I have gathered and build a gay dating site. Things should go much smoother since Ive already been threw the process. I am going to sell him 50% of my site for 50% of his. I think the gay dating site may be much easier to promote. "Guys are way easier to sign up than women" I am exited about the partnership and I hope it works out. We have always worked together with our blogs in the past and that was pretty sucessful. This should be no different.

A lot of people have expressed the opinion that making a dating site at this stage in the game is a little late. Im not sure if that is correct or not, but Im sure I will learn a lot from building and administering a site of this size. Its a little more complexed than my blogs.

Evan has challenged us a bit, I posted a quotefrom him below. For those that have not been run off lets show Evan and the rest of 2plus2 what we can do. Maybe we will get our homeland back someday. They obviously think what we talk about is silly. I know I have learned a lot and I have faith in my projects. LETS GET TO WORK!

"I don't necessarily think no one "has what it takes" to make a very popular website. You post was laughable because it was just so self-indulgent. Also, as much as you might think that people are trying to make "the next big [whatever]" most people can't stop talking about making a new blog with a new adsense trick. That's not going to be the next big anything.

I don't know that there's any way to really put a firm set of guidelines on it, but I would definitely bet that no one from this forum "hits it big" in the next year."
Old 04-12-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Project Update and Challenge from Mod to MM&B

Yea I read that exact post in atf... kind of pissed me off. We need Sniper back or a new forum all together to be able to discuss what we like with the same group of people.

Deleted a link to a dead page with no discussion value that was a little spammy at best -Evan

OMG give me a god damn break.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:34 PM

I think Evan can do a good job I just dont understand why they want to change us. Why should we talk about what they think is interesting or usefull. If the majority of the forum is interested in a topic, why do the mods keep making lists of stuff they think is worthwhile.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:39 PM

Listen man, no one is making you talk about anything you don't want to. Frankly, I'm pretty tired of reading your posts complaining about that.

More importantly, this forum is not for complaining about mods. I have no problem with you complaining about me or the decisions I make or the way I dress, but don't do it here. This forum is for quality discussion about business, finance and investing. If you want to talk about something else, do it in an appropriate forum. You made a bad post yesterday that I locked and then you stared a thread with the exact same title criticizing me for locking the first one.

Posts like that and this just aren't going to fly. I'll leave this one for now, but let's make this the last off topic post. If that's too hard, they'll just keep getting locked or moved to an appropriate forum.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:42 PM

No one is complaining about him but you that I have noticed. Why don't you stop modding how you want and mod how everyone thinks you should. Maybe what you think isn't worthwhile someone else does.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Lets drop that, I didnt mean to realy start a big discusion about Evan here. I just wanted to update everyone how my dating site is going and get people motivated. Thats why I posted the quote to get MM&B people up and going.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:16 PM

Speaking of dating sites/social networks I get control back of a site I lost control of late last year tomorrow. Founded it last june, had it up to 1500-1700 active users/25K pageviews per day by August when some companies with more cash and time offered to take over the day to day and pay the associated costs(it's like suicide girls in a way so there were photo shoot costs) in exchange for a profit share.

Well they both [censored] around and the site peaked in November at like just over 3K users(2K active) and stuck at 25K pageviews per day until a month or so ago when me and the other founder got sick of it and demanded control back. That happens tomorrow.

It's back down to 1K active users now due to the neglect and I have a busy few weeks to look forward to as I have to rewrite the site again since they probably want to hold onto the software running it now, but I'm getting excited again.

Aiming for 5K active users by August. I think given the growth of the site when it was being actively managed this should be a pretty easy goal but we'll see.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:35 PM

Thats good to hear. Im glad you shared your story, I will take note. It realy is exiting to run a site like that, mine is and I only have a few hundred users.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:37 PM

It's great progress considering I was just talking to you the other week about you finishing up the coding. The first thousand are hard. After that it gets a bit easier and at 300 you're doing great.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:45 PM

The thing I like is the people who have signed up are on it a lot. This is suprising since there are so few people. Most of the people are from SD so its concentrated.

Are your site niche sites? What do you think about my friend starting a gay site and trading me a 50% stake for 50% of mine? We will work together to run them, hes already been helping me on mine.