Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2006, 04:29 PM

Default I learn by screwing up (a lesson shared)

I have $26.30 at a non-Party, not PA site $25nl table. The table is soft and loose. Big blind is a loose, slightly aggressive and not very savy player, but has not done anything outrageous yet. He has miniraise preflop a few times, allowing me to overlimp with small pockers. He has me covered by a few cents.

I limp 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG, MP ($14 stack) calls, BB checks.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
POT: $.85

BB bets .25, I raise $1.1, MP folds, BB calls.

POT is now $2.1 (after rake)

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, I bet $1.8, BB checkraises $3.6.
<font color="blue">
This is where I think I made a mistake, and I would like to hear thoughts on the subject.
</font>
Okay, check it: I have decided that I am willing to lose my stack on this hand. If he has a better hand, then that is just tough. This is a reasonable thought I think, and I don't think many of you will disagree.

So given that I am willing to get stacked here, I should assume I'm ahead and try to milk BB out of as much of his stack as I can.

So I push. (Yuck.)

My thoughts: I should have bet less. Pushing is only likely to get called by a strong hand. Whereas if I raise a smaller amount (even a miniraise here, followed by a healthy river bet) I am likely to get a call from more marginal hands. In short, my EV is better with smaller bets, taking his money more incrementally.

If I had this hand to play all over again, here is how I would do it:

After his checkraise of $3.6, I would mini-reraise $7.2. If he 4 bets any amount, THEN I push. If he just calls, this would leave the pot at around $14.2 after rake. If he checks the river, I will pot it, and then the rest of my stack will go in if the action gets back to me.