Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 05:12 AM

Default Scam? If so how to mess with them

I imagine this is a scam.

I bought new golf clubs recently; I decided to post on craigslist.com, (online bulletin board) in order to sell my old clubs. I received a bizarre email from someone looking to buy them, the email is poorly written etc..

I figured whatever as long as they want to meet me and give me cash I don’t care who buys them. I find out that this person is what she referred to herself as ‘’ A merchandise broker’’ that she has clients and they pay her to find things on the internet apparently for them. Now this sounds instantly BS but who knows what some people in this world might pay for. But I am certainly skeptical at this point.

So I keep getting these emails from her asking if I got her clients payment. I continue to respond no, (I didn’t get anything) and also that I will accept nothing less than cash, or a certified check. She says he is sending money orders. Now once again I am more skeptical. Craigslist.com terms and conditions mention that money orders can be fake etc..

So today I get a nice letter in the mail. Priority mail from of all places France. Envelope has no return address. Inside is an envelope is a letter and a money order for 3K Canadian. The letter says to cash the money order and send all money via western union to the shipper (LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL) and that when he comes to my place to get the clubs, he will pay me what is mine.

I assume that the Money order will come back as NSF or fake, I will have ‘’already taken out 3K’’ so my bank will hit me with NSF fees and request 3K from me. So I will have sent 3K western union and no one will ever come to get my clubs. Thus making them 3K?

Is it a coincidence that the monies came on a Friday?? Weekend before bank tells me monies is no goot?

Cliff notes: Tried to sell things on the internets. Someone tries to scam me. Any way to re roll or [censored] with him?
Old 02-03-2007, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Scam? If so how to mess with them

www.419eater.com
Old 02-03-2007, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Scam?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to ban you.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:41 AM

Are you an idiot? Have fun paying $20 or so for the bounced check.

Breakdown: They want you to send the difference before the check clears. Some people mail out the difference (or some of it) at the same time they deposit their $8,000 check. Thus, scammers get paid.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:32 AM

This is very common on craigslist: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html