Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2006, 05:59 PM

Default So, yeah, I have no clue how to play limit omaha.

Teach me how [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I played like 50 on party and they are juicy. So so bad. I know I donked off some money being a calling station (paying off with bottom set on a drawy board (Kc4hQc and I have 44, although I should have folded when the river came a J).

And playing too many hands like QQxx/JJxx hoping to make top sets.

And AxXxxxx of the ace suited hoping for the nut flush.

What do I do with hands like AAxx no suited/single suited/double suited (raise the double suited obv, but should you LRR in EP with this hand?)

What about KKxx of the same kind?

How do you play draws out of position into a large field? Like an OESD+Nut flush draw into 6 people? Do you bet out or hope for a c/r? I figure bet out from my limit hold-em days.

Is it okay to make those crying calls? When should you make the crying calls? How big does the pot need to be and how strong should your hand be?

A few hands for you to comment on once I find a working converter soon to come.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:51 AM

Default Re: So, yeah, I have no clue how to play limit omaha.

ive played some limit o hi and it seems like you can not play nearly as many hands as in plo. naked jj and qq are not really worth playing unless you have good position and the game is pretty passive. kk is more tricky but i like to limp early and raise late with them, especially if there are no callers. AA is always a call at least, but limp reraising is seldom benefical. if you're playing a draw, you're pretty much just along for the ride unless it is a 16+ outter. if you have that good of a draw, checkrasing is obviously very profitable. try to make less crying calls, especially when an obvious draw comes in on the end and your opponent does something like checkraise or lead right into you when you've been leading the betting the whole time. this is omaha afterall, and the nuts are a very real possibility every hand.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:11 AM

I wouldn't usually raise with AAxx double suited in early position unless it's a loose table where a raise doesn't narrow the field. I don't really like to knock people out if I have opponents who will go broke with non-nut flushes.

With a strong combo draw, I bet out against passive players, I go for a check-raise if some of my opponents will bet with top two pair (or worse hands), hoping to get it all in on the flop.

With loose opponents, I find that playing for set value really doesn't do much good unless they are willing to get it all in on the flop with bottom two pair.

The most important thing to remember is that you don't have to bet or raise the pot if you bet or raise.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:12 AM

PokrLikeItsProse: hes talking about LIMIT omaha. a few other things i thought of: i agree with seeing the flop with almost every suited ace unless im very early and theres a lot of raising. id see any flop for any number of bets with a good suited ace like A567. dont raise anything from early positon. i rarely raise at all in LO. just from late position with KK or AA suited, or high running and suited cards like 89TJ, or high pairs with connecting sidecards like QQJT. i dont like betting my draws because i dont want to get raised by someone with a set and chase out other people that will call with non nut draws.

limit omaha is a good game becuase very few people know how to play it well and many people will go for draws that are not to the nuts or could already be beaten.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:51 AM

I still hate playing big pairs with trash side cards in limit.

In limit, it's still about making money off of people who overvalue two small pair or an overpair and jamming your strong draws on the flop.