Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Atkins Diet - Lets Discuss Pros/Cons/Experiences

guids,

Actually IR works a little better than GI, since there are some factors (which are beyond me to currently understand) that causes the two to be highly correlated but unequal.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids,

Actually IR works a little better than GI, since there are some factors (which are beyond me to currently understand) that causes the two to be highly correlated but unequal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have phrased it wrong, high GI foods spur the spike in insulin, you cant get a large (as big as no carb, working out, then pwo shake, at least) insulin spike w/o high GI foods. The spike in insulin in turn "shoots" your protein adn carbs into your liver, muscles, etc. You cant eat high GI carbs all the time because your body will adapt and stop producing the insulin, in turn your body will nto use the carbs and protiens as efficiently. You do this postworkout because after a workout your body is most insulin sensitive so a high spike from teh high gi carbs is why a lot of people sometimes see sick gains from changing their post workout nutrition. Basically what you are doing, is "injecting" yourself with insulin w/o a needle to get the most out of your food.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:58 PM

I'm talking about Insulin Response, its a different measurement from glycemic index. Almost the exact same but some slight differences.

I do understand exactly what you are saying though. Just suggesting a different chart for optimal decisions.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking about Insulin Response, its a different measurement from glycemic index. Almost the exact same but some slight differences.

I do understand exactly what you are saying though. Just suggesting a different chart for optimal decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am under the impression that teh glycimec index and insulin response of foods are directly related? Ie the higher the GI, the higher the IR?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:16 PM

guids,

Highly correlated, but not always. Some foods have a lower GI but a much higher IR. Candy Bars come to mind in this. Diabetes FTW.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:44 AM

Just to add onto Thremp's post, there's plenty of evidence that shows that fat ingested with carbohydrates can actually increase insulin response depending on how much of those fats are saturated.

What we all hear about is how fat will blunt insulin response because it slows down gastric emptying and therefore the release of glucose into blood (which is why we don't put peanut butter in our post-workout shakes). However, saturated fat + carbs have some sort of synergy that causes a disproportionate insulin response. Fries, baked goods, and fatty-fat-fat ice cream are big-time offenders.

Other notable foods that have a low GI but high Insulin Index include milk, yogurt, and baked beans (very bad).
Old 05-08-2007, 01:41 AM

skunk,

Very interesting. If I'm not mistaken, the "badness" of saturated fats doesn't make up for the increased IR over something like dextrose, no?