Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: The Hip-Hop Thread, or Dids\'s Top 10 Hip-Hop Albums

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'm honestly baffled as to why every list does not include both of tupac's main albums, all eyez on me and me against the world. he is head and shoulders above every rapper ever and its honestly not even close. Writing, delivery, voice, content. These lists that don't include him are akin to talking about great poets and not mentioning shakespeare.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tupac is amazingly overrated specificaly because of people thinking like you.

If you were attempting to involve him in this conversation, mentioning his earlier work would be a good first start, those two albums are lousy imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what kind of "logical" thinking would you suggest is necessary for justifying a hip hop legend? Constant mention of bitches and/or hos? World issues are obviously too extraneous for your little head to handle.

/ruined

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

Before any of you "hip hop fans" call Tupac overrated, chew on this (without a doubt one of the best verses of all time):

With all this extra stressin
The question I wonder is after death, after my last breath
When will I finaly get to rest? Through this supression
they punish the people that's askin questions
And those that possess, steal from the ones without possesions
The message I stress: to make it stop study your lessons
Don't settle for less - even the genius asks his questions
Be grateful for blessings
Don't ever change, keep your essence
The power is in the people and politics we address
Always do your best, don't let the pressure make you panic
And when you get stranded
And things don't go the way you planned it
Dreamin of riches, in a position of makin a difference
Politicians are hypocrites, they don't wanna listen
If I'm insane, it's the fame made a brother change
It wasn't nuttin like the game
It's just me against the world

(edited to make the lyrics correct, these lyric sites are run by a bunch of simian idiots who apparently just copy each other's best guesses.)
Old 03-20-2007, 03:36 PM

Notice the emphasis on content, socioeconomic problems (see my personal favorite, "Changes" for more on this, and intense emotion. No other rapper comes close. On top of all this, his vocabulary, articulation, and delivery are impeccable. Just because NWA came out with an album earlier does not make it better. The difference in the quality of rap is absurd.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:31 PM

I could spent a lot of time typing, comparing lyrics, etc, but it's pointless. You're a fan and I'm not going to change your mind.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:01 PM

Name one artist that you prefer more than tupac. Seems fairly simple.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:18 PM

Biggie
Jay-Z
Nas
Brother Ali
Boots Riley
Ice Cube
Slug
Aesop Rock
Murs
Aceyalone
Black Thought
Vast Aire
Kanye West
El-P
Ghostface
MF Doom
RA the Rugged Man
Shock G
Lyrics Born
GZA
Lupe Fiasco

That's just from scanning a folder on my "HOT FIRE STEP BACK YOU'RE TOO CLOSE" folder.

Again, I'm not going to argue with you over why I think these guys are better, because it's a waste of our time. We apparently have different standards, I obviously think my standards are better than yours.

The part where I'm going to claim victory is that I've likely been listening to and talking about hip-hop for about a decade longer than you have, and I'm pretty sure than in the end more people worth listening too are going to agree with me than you.

Pac had amazing charisma, but his lyrics are banal, got hella repetative on the albums you mention, his message was marred by both his actions and his other songs, his flow required constant use of doubles... asldfjasd.... stopping this before I get more annoyed.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:46 PM

see the two nutcase Tupac fans on this page for evidence pointing to his extreme overratedness. I'm convinced that the majority of people that worship him are white and lame, but I still can't figure out why they like him so much.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Slug
Aesop Rock
Murs
Vast Aire
Kanye West
El-P
RA the Rugged Man
Lyrics Born
Lupe Fiasco

That's just from scanning a folder on my "HOT FIRE STEP BACK YOU'RE TOO CLOSE" folder.

Again, I'm not going to argue with you over why I think these guys are better, because it's a waste of our time. We apparently have different standards, I obviously think my standards are better than yours.

The part where I'm going to claim victory is that I've likely been listening to and talking about hip-hop for about a decade longer than you have, and I'm pretty sure than in the end more people worth listening too are going to agree with me than you.

Pac had amazing charisma, but his lyrics are banal, got hella repetative on the albums you mention, his message was marred by both his actions and his other songs, his flow required constant use of doubles... asldfjasd.... stopping this before I get more annoyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really care much for Pac myself, but you essentially lose all credibility in discussing hip-hop when you suggest that the above are better in any way than Pac.

You can claim your victory over whoever you want, but if you've been listening to crap for 20 years, you've still been listening to crap. I sat on the sidelines as you dumped on some greats, made some good points, and touted mediocre pap, but this list just makes this whole thread laughable. The names I took out all speak for themselves, but the remainder I left couldn't carry a real MC's jockstrap.

EL P? Vast Aire? Slug? jesus. these guys are hip hop for lame philosophy majors to listen to while contemplating the relevance of Kerouac's time in Mexico City. BOOOORING.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:27 PM

This thread inspired me to go back and find some older 80s/early 90s rap. Public Enemy, Beasties, KRS-1, Tribe Called Quest, Kurtis Blow, Big Daddy Kane, Grandmaster Flash, Run-DMC, NWA, ICE-T, etc. I had forgotten how good and how groundbreaking they were, or perhaps I never realized it fully at the time.

I must be an old man, though, since I find the new stuff quite unimpressive.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:54 AM

El-P's new record is hot fire, FYI.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:16 AM

Although so many excellent records have been named, I will put my top 10 favorite that were not mentioned often enough.

1.)Originoo Gunn Clappaz (OGC) - Da Storm
This is a masterful work. The beats are quite good, but the lyrics and overall style of the album make it one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time. The way the three members of the group transition from one verse to another is so cool, and jesus starang wondah is so f'in sick.

2.) Big L - Lifestyles of Da Poor and Dangerous/Big Picture
Big L's beats weren't the best, but he is hands down the only rapper that I think can contest Biggie for greatest mc ever. The lyrics are so well thought out and creative, and he just sounds like a such a ruthless gangsta killer that you wouldn't want to mess with.

3.)Westside Connection - Bow Down
The beats arst so good on this cd, and Ice Cube outshines the other mc's by far. I don't think there is one filler song on the record. Has a much more modern sound than Ice Cube's "The Predator" and the beats are some of the best if you are in the mood for music to listen to while doing a drive-by on your enemies' cribs.

4.)Master P - Ice Cream Man
I used to think Master P was a joke, and he is - today. However, back when this album came out he was a talented rapper, and the production is hot. There are so many classics on this cd, and it has a great southern/western vibe that just can't be beat. If you like westcoast music and wanna bump some great beats you can't be disappointed in this. The biggest benefit - Master P actually raps! He doesn't just say stupid chants. Plus, Silk the Schocker only ruins a couple songs out of many, unlike the other classic Tru 2 da Game where he basically f's up every song with his off beat wack rhymes.

5.)Eminem - Slim Shady LP/Infinite
Everyone knows the Slim Shady LP which is an amazing record, but if you can get your hands on his earlier work called infinite, you should do so. His rhymes are so sick on this cd and you wonder how he came up with such complex, thoughtful lyrics. You can tell he is way better than the great majority of rappers on this album and I just get goosebumps when I think of some of his rhymes.

6.)Wu Tang Clan - Enter the 36 Chambers/Wu-Tang forever
I don't need to say anything about these, they have been mentioned so much above and for good reason. Also check out the solo albums by Ghostface, Liquid Swords, Uncontrolled Substance by Inspectah Deck, and No Said Date by Mastah Killa, all really good.

7.)3-6 Mafia - Mystic Stylez
An old Three Six cd, in my opinion the best by far. Such raw beats and the rapping is pretty good too. Really gives that horror style which they tried to implement less successfully in their later more commercial albums. I consider this a classic, and the third song "the Summer" is just one of the greatest rap songs ever.

8.)Bone Thugs n Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal
No description needed. Every song is great, no fillers, and just nothing bad to say about this. Tru masterpiece.

9.)Twista - Adrenaline Rush (the first one)
No filler, every song has the twista style we all love, none of his new slow style rap which sucks. The beats all are great, and just a great album in every respect. Very good stuff.

10.)Cocoa Brovaz - The Rude Awakening
Amazing beats, great lyrics, great delivery, no filler, what more can you ask for. Really just an amazing cd which I still am not sick of.

Honorable mention: AZ - Doe or Die (a perfect album and better than the new AZ stuff imo)