Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Re: wine importers you trust

[ QUOTE ]

Do you also like Amon Ra?

I just got 36 bottles of the 2006 (100 points). Satisfactory.

What kind of Burgs do you lean towards? I stock pilled a bunch of the 2002's which are just starting to open up. Had a great bottle of J.J. Confuron's Nuits St George Les Fleuriers the other day. Yum!

I LOVE BURGUNDY

[/ QUOTE ]

my avatar is the Amon-Ra label isn't it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I'm working on a vertical of it right now. FWIW, that was jay miller who rated the 06 and he gave it 97-100 pt score, and from people that I know that I trust, they have told me that the 06 isn't as good as the 02 or the 05. Still, ben glaetzer is an amazing wine maker and I have no doubt that it's a 94+ wine, and of course I plan on buying it since I want a vertical of it

for burgs, I generally lean towards Vosne-Romanee and Gevrey-Chambertin for my main regions with nuits st george next. I love the 02s that I've had, but, man, many of the 03s that I've had are just sooo powerful and expressive. of course, I've had some real crap from 03, but the big ones from 03 have been better then some of the 02s that I've had.

I can't afford grand crus, but am generally able to buy premier crus and top village wines. So I stick to bouchard as they are an amazing negociant and have some great winemakers that bring in the grapes.

burgundy is easily the most hit and miss region in the world, but that's why I love it because they make some of the most expressive pinot in the world while making some serious crap. I really don't think that oregon or california can really ever compete with a top burg(this is just personal opinion, but, c'mon, if you had the money, what would you rather have, a DRC or a top Kosta Browne)
Old 11-13-2007, 02:04 AM

what is your general price range? I work for one of the biggest wine and spirits stores in the chicagoland and midwest region(my store alone does $10-12m a year in business and the chain does in excess of $150m a year), so i've been able to recently have a bunch of stuff at the lower price points( I really do need to note though that I am awful when it comes to california as I don't drink all that much cali wine and generally prefer french and italian wines with australia and oregon being my next best areas, so when it comes to cali cabs, I generally favor the more backwards and long lived ones like monte bello, togni, and montelena estate)
Old 11-13-2007, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what is your general price range? I work for one of the biggest wine and spirits stores in the chicagoland and midwest region(my store alone does $10-12m a year in business and the chain does in excess of $150m a year), so i've been able to recently have a bunch of stuff at the lower price points( I really do need to note though that I am awful when it comes to california as I don't drink all that much cali wine and generally prefer french and italian wines with australia and oregon being my next best areas, so when it comes to cali cabs, I generally favor the more backwards and long lived ones like monte bello, togni, and montelena estate)

[/ QUOTE ]

price range is pretty open for me, If I find something I love I will generally spend whatever it takes. For the sake of giving you a clear answer i'll say in the under under $25 range. I'll have to try some french reds to see how I like those. I'll read your other posts ITT to see what you recommend for those.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:28 AM

cool, something to work with, now are you willing to extend that range up to $35?, cause then we'd really have some room to work with.

well, my first and foremost rec would be, check out the 05 montes alpha syrah from chile. It's between 14-18 depending on your area, and it seriously rocks. Next I would move over to australia(since unfortunetly I don't know nearly enough about spain to give that many solid recs at this time) and have you check out the 05 John Duval Plexus.

I will say this right now, aviod mollydooker like the friggen plauge, it's just not all that good and the reviews are all over the place(personally I utterly hated the boxer while I know that Mike l loved it, he gave it a 90, I gave it a 78).

if you want to check out pinot noir, really check out the 06 westrey from oregon. My store sold out of it fast, but this is a insane QPR(quality price ratio) and IMO is grand theft larceny at around 22-26. it's from oregon and should be widely available.

as far as cabernets go, if you are willing to spend up to about 50, you can get some sick stuff. I'm a big fan of Don Melchor, and they make cabs that if they were produced in america would easily cost upwards of 100 a bottle. The thing is with the 04 edition, you need to decant the crap out of it. it's more backwards in style and isn't as fruit forward as the 03(which is fastly becoming a legend).

i'm gonna have a smoke and watch a wine blog, so keep the questions coming and hopefully I can help(I really do need to note though that my tastes may be different then yours, so your best bet is to build a rapport with your local wine store and talk to the main guys there, I'm always willing to help out via PM and hopefully I as learn your tastes I can help better recomend stuff)
Old 11-13-2007, 02:35 AM

yeah, like I said price really isn't a problem for me (robusto). For the time being i'll check out the list you gave me, that will def put me through the weekend. You made some high quality posts for a lowlife like me who is just getting into wine, and I appreciate it. I'm excited to go check out some cabernets and stuff from regions besides northern cali.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well, my first and foremost rec would be, check out the 05 montes alpha syrah from chile. It's between 14-18 depending on your area, and it seriously rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great for the price. Have you tried their M?

[ QUOTE ]
Next I would move over to australia(since unfortunetly I don't know nearly enough about spain to give that many solid recs at this time)

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, Spain >>>>>>>> Australia. I really don't like Australia at all, and only have the Amon Ra that I mentioned earlier for monetary reasons. Spain, on the other hand, is outstanding and you don't feel like you just ate a jar of jam after enjoying a bottle.

For value reds, look at wines out of Monstant and Jumilla. If you find any '01 Riojas, buy them! Drinking beautifully right now. Great vintage!

White: I love Albarino out of Rias Baxias, such a great white and for the money, IMO, 10000x better than your average Chardonnay (especially if it's a Cali.. buttered toast anyone?). Also for whites: Viura varietal out of Rioja. Much like a cool climate sav blanc without the cat pee and bite. Very nice grape that, if people were willing to try something different, would be a huge success.

Other great value areas for reds: Languedoc (France), Rosso de Montalcino (Italy), Sicily (Italy).

[ QUOTE ]
but this is a insane QPR(quality price ratio) and IMO is grand theft larceny at around 22-26.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not saying this isn't a great deal (I personally haven't tried it) but really stay away from stuff like QPR... it's such ridiculousness. It's retarded.

[ QUOTE ]
as far as cabernets go, if you are willing to spend up to about 50, you can get some sick stuff. I'm a big fan of Don Melchor , and they make cabs that if they were produced in america would easily cost upwards of 100 a bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that everybody has their tastes and opinions, but Chile to me is the worst major wine producing country in the world. They do offer great values, but the style of wine they produce: sweet/residual, super fruit forward... blah. I can never get into it, and if i'm spending over 20 bucks, not worth it IMO. I had a bottle of the Don Melchor in question a couple of weeks back. For 50 bucks and Cab, i'd def go in a different direction... but again, that's just me. I think you should buy a couple of recommendations from different wine producing countries that are cheap and do a tasting. See what styles you like. That's the great thing about wine: No matter what anybody says, how many points here or there, it's all about your palatte.

KDawg:

Vosnee-Romanee's are sick. I haven't really got into the '03's, but maybe I should be. I can probably find some great deals in there, as nobody is going after them because of the 2002's and 2005's... any recommendations? what area have you found the best?

I LOVE WINE

Brunellos anyone?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't had a chance, with so much bordeaux for me to drink, I keep going back to it

[ QUOTE ]

IMO, Spain >>>>>>>> Australia. I really don't like Australia at all, and only have the Amon Ra that I mentioned earlier for monetary reasons. Spain, on the other hand, is outstanding and you don't feel like you just ate a jar of jam after enjoying a bottle.

For value reds, look at wines out of Monstant and Jumilla. If you find any '01 Riojas, buy them! Drinking beautifully right now. Great vintage!

White: I love Albarino out of Rias Baxias, such a great white and for the money, IMO, 10000x better than your average Chardonnay (especially if it's a Cali.. buttered toast anyone?). Also for whites: Viura varietal out of Rioja. Much like a cool climate sav blanc without the cat pee and bite. Very nice grape that, if people were willing to try something different, would be a huge success.

Other great value areas for reds: Languedoc (France), Rosso de Montalcino (Italy), Sicily (Italy).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't neccessarily disagree, but, I just don't have enough experience with spain to really give out recs, so I will always let someone who has more experience give those out.

I do think though, for someone just getting into wine, australia is good because it's big and flashy, and the really good stuff has a lot of structure. If you like syrah and aren't that big of a fan of most aussies, you really should check out some of the higher end Clarendon Hills still. THey make it in more of a CDR style while still having some of the flash that aussie bombs are known for

[ QUOTE ]

Not saying this isn't a great deal (I personally haven't tried it) but really stay away from stuff like QPR... it's such ridiculousness. It's retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure what you're saying here. QPRs are what make wines tons of fun, finding a really good wine for an affordable price.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as far as cabernets go, if you are willing to spend up to about 50, you can get some sick stuff. I'm a big fan of Don Melchor , and they make cabs that if they were produced in america would easily cost upwards of 100 a bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that everybody has their tastes and opinions, but Chile to me is the worst major wine producing country in the world. They do offer great values, but the style of wine they produce: sweet/residual, super fruit forward... blah. I can never get into it, and if i'm spending over 20 bucks, not worth it IMO. I had a bottle of the Don Melchor in question a couple of weeks back. For 50 bucks and Cab, i'd def go in a different direction... but again, that's just me. I think you should buy a couple of recommendations from different wine producing countries that are cheap and do a tasting. See what styles you like. That's the great thing about wine: No matter what anybody says, how many points here or there, it's all about your palatte.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, the 04 don melchor is far from a pop n pour affair, it needs a good 3-4 1/2 hours of decanting. The 04 is a bit more astringent then the flashy 04, but the 04 has some serious life on it. It's personal taste though, as I find the Don Melchor's to be done in a more St Estephe and Pauillac style that I generally prefer(and what a shocker, concha y toro is a division of mouton rothschild)

[ QUOTE ]
KDawg:

Vosnee-Romanee's are sick. I haven't really got into the '03's, but maybe I should be. I can probably find some great deals in there, as nobody is going after them because of the 2002's and 2005's... any recommendations? what area have you found the best?

I LOVE WINE

Brunellos anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to get to class right now, and this answer is gonna be a long answer, so unfortunetly I won't be able to get into it just yet

as far as brunello, this world would be a happier place if more people drank quality brunello, that's just my opinion though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't had a chance, with so much bordeaux for me to drink, I keep going back to it

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I wouldn't touch it if I had a choice between it and some qulity Bordeauxs. I just had some at a tasting awhile back and was impressed (mostly because it's not typical Chile)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't neccessarily disagree, but, I just don't have enough experience with spain to really give out recs, so I will always let someone who has more experience give those out.

I do think though, for someone just getting into wine, australia is good because it's big and flashy, and the really good stuff has a lot of structure. If you like syrah and aren't that big of a fan of most aussies, you really should check out some of the higher end Clarendon Hills still. THey make it in more of a CDR style while still having some of the flash that aussie bombs are known for

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree Australia is a good place to start. Super approachable.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure what you're saying here. QPRs are what make wines tons of fun, finding a really good wine for an affordable price.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think that things like QPR are ridiculous. Wine Dictator and Robert Parker have such a negative impact on the wine industry that anything that they say is taken for Gospel, and make those wine that they love such outrageous prices that they pretty much automatically increase in price no matter what. Also, how can the two largest wine critic mag's in the world have such a differnet range of opinion? For instance, one of the Phelps Backus vintages, I think the '04 but not sure off the top of my head, was rated a 96 by Parker... and a 85 by Dictator.. how is this possible that the two most recognized authorities on wine have such a different opinion on what a good wine is?

Read this to see the flaws of QPR: QPR is absurd

I guess I shouldn't be mad about this, as it's these publications that basically pay my bills. But still.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, the 04 don melchor is far from a pop n pour affair, it needs a good 3-4 1/2 hours of decanting. The 04 is a bit more astringent then the flashy 04, but the 04 has some serious life on it. It's personal taste though, as I find the Don Melchor's to be done in a more St Estephe and Pauillac style that I generally prefer(and what a shocker, concha y toro is a division of mouton rothschild)

[/ QUOTE ]

It was at a trade tasting, and the people pouring it were the distributors so i'm guessing it was decanted for the proper amount of time. i just feel like when you get into serious wines, not wine's of value, that both Chile and Argentina just can't compare to other areas when you start spending more than 50 bucks a bottle. As E. Asimov of the NYT's said (paraphrase): The only two countries that I haven't found a wine that I have fallen in love with, are Chile and Argentina.

[ QUOTE ]
KDawg:

I LOVE WINE

Brunellos anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to get to class right now, and this answer is gonna be a long answer, so unfortunetly I won't be able to get into it just yet

as far as brunello, this world would be a happier place if more people drank quality brunello, that's just my opinion though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, if everybody drank more quality Brunello, the world would also be a poorer place... look forward to some rec's on '03 Burgs.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 PM

where do you normally shop at for your burgs, can you give me a link? I'd be more then glad to go through it and hopefully give you some recs. It's so hard to give out the name of a wine because of the low production of burgundy and it not all bottles can found at all places. I normally just rely on burghound for my burg recs as Meadows is easily the best burg critic going
Old 11-14-2007, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
where do you normally shop at for your burgs, can you give me a link? I'd be more then glad to go through it and hopefully give you some recs. It's so hard to give out the name of a wine because of the low production of burgundy and it not all bottles can found at all places. I normally just rely on burghound for my burg recs as Meadows is easily the best burg critic going

[/ QUOTE ]

No, can't link you as there isn't one place specifically. I'm an importer with a strong Burg portfolio, but we haven't even brought in any of the '03's. We've brought in some '01, '02, '04 and coming, '05.