Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Tips on replacing long irons with Hybrids?

I'm looking to replace my 2-3-4 irons with probably 2 Hybrid Clubs. I am a beginner so the low irons are very difficul for me to hit. I have a Titleist DCI Iron set where the lofts are as follows for my longer irons:

5 Iron: 28 degrees
4 Iron: 24 degrees
3 Iron: 21 degrees
2 Iron: 18 degrees

My Fairway Woods right now consist of a ping G5 3 and 5 wood. I have heard a lot of good things about the Taylor Made Rescue hybrid. However, I have read that there is a difference between hybrids which are meant to replace irons and hybrids which are meant to replace woods.

Are there any suggestions for how I would go about getting a hybrid to replace an iron? Does taht simply mean making sure the loft is similiar to the loft of my 4 iron or does it include shaft length as well as shaft type? Should I bet getting steel shaft Hybrids?
Old 07-31-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Tips on replacing long irons with Hybrids?

Yeah, pretty much just try and match up the lofts and you should be hitting it around the same distance as your iron. (The hybrid of equal loft typically will go a bit further for you on average because it is much more forgiving, so allow for that if you like)

Don't worry about if a hybrid is meant to replace a wood or an iron, that's all just marketing bull IMO. Find something with a similar loft that looks good to you, and go with it.

Of course it's always best to try a club out on the range before buying it, so if you have a range/course in your area that allows this, do it.

Hope that helps somewhat, I'm sure others will provide some insight as well.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:27 PM

Well what are your thoughts about steel shaft vs graphite shaft? It seems like I would want graphite.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:43 PM

Yeah, get graphite.

Unless you swing like a million miles per hour, there is no reason to go with steel for your hybrid.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:32 PM

Remember that a lighter graphite shaft will alter swingweight and swingspeed. Also make sure that shaft length and thus lie angle are equivalent to the corresponding irons and the transition is pretty easy.

For now, I'd say (without any extra information other than an 18* 5 wood) that with the same length shaft in graphite, you could go with 22,25* and I'd say that those two would fill the gaps pretty well.