Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: 25NL 98s Flopped Straight on Monotone Board

[ QUOTE ]

You're not raising the flop to see where you're at. Get that notion out of your head right now. It will lose you money. When you flop a straight, you're raising for value against worse hands. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was obviously raising for value. Likewise thats what villain appeared to be doing as well when he reraised.

I'm not too familiar with pokerstove put aren't you leaving out a large number of hands in his range?

Also, aren't you ignoring the betting pattern? Is it not more likely that BB would be pushing with a hand like Ah9 and AhT? Put yourself in his shoes. What hands are you pushing here and what hands are you 3betting? I'm not defending my fold I'm just wondering how villain's line changes his range. Then again, he could be 3betting a hand like Ah9 but based on my read on this guy it seems out of line.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:18 PM

grunch....

raise preflop....limping blows. sorry bro

you dont beat much but at nl25 you actually might so get it in and have a rebuy ready....thats all i can say. too many crackheads in the game these days to fold a made hand like that
Old 06-27-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im a donk who pays off flopped flushes if i flopped a streight, just because its 1% to flop a flush and i dont run into it often enough to show a loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

amen! you cant fold this come on
Old 06-27-2007, 07:02 PM

The betting pattern makes it a more interesting question, for sure. Strictly based on odds, a flopped flush is massively unlikely. With this betting pattern, however, the odds of it being true in this particular instance go up significantly. How significantly is the question. In order to make to correct decision, we need to quantify things, which is where the above calculations come in. Pokerstove will become your best friend for stuff like this. I can't recommend it strongly enough.

As to villain's range in the stove numbers, I included the majority of what's reasonable, I think. I left out made flushes because we're considering those in the other part of the calculations. Which hands did you have in mind?

An interesting piece of that, by the way, is that if we include more made hands (sets, other two pair, overpairs) into villain's range, your equity improves. If we include more pure draws, your equity also improves. If we include more combo draw type hands, your equity doesn't change much at all. That is, the range given is slightly biased against you.

Since villain's 3bet is pot commiting, I'm not sure how much difference there really is between a 3bet and a push. For some villains, probably quite a bit, for others, none at all. W/o a specific read, I hesitate to put much significance in that.

For myself, if I make a 3bet in villain's situation here, it's a push, as that's not all that much of an overbet. Against a decent player, I'm semi-bluffing with a TON of hands here, precisely because my fold equity is so huge against a massive portion of your range. I'm also pushing most (maybe even all) of my made flushes here because another heart on the turn or river will either counterfeit my hand and/or kill my action. Out of position, it's harder to control when and how money goes into the pot, so I'm much more likely to fastplay everything. I mix up my play by fastplaying my big draws as well as my made hands. The result is exactly the situation you're in here. You have a very, very strong hand, but still are in a really crappy spot. This is why fastplaying big draws is so amazingly effective against thinking opponents. Now will this guy do that? Good question.

In the end for this specific hand, I suspect that he actually has a flush pretty close to 25-35% of the time and you can fold or call and it's pretty marginal either way, so it doesn't much matter what you do in the long run. Flip a coin and go with it, or just trust your gut and do whichever.

The more important thing to look for here is how to analyze situations like this and quantify things. The more you can put dollar values on decisions, the more effective you'll be at exploiting small edges.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:15 PM

Tough one, assuming you're right and he raises TT+ he can basically have:

K9 - 0% to win for you
Any flush - 0% to win for you

Even if he doesn't have those though, either the ace or king of hearts both make it a 50/50 thing regardless of what kicker he has.

Only hands you're really ahead of are QJ,QT and JT, and I think he would shove those to try and push out naked draws.

Overall I'd say fold this, you're just not ahead often enough.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:18 PM

Thanks for a very comprehensive and helpful post Reptile. This helps me understand this hand better.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The betting pattern makes it a more interesting question, for sure. Strictly based on odds, a flopped flush is massively unlikely. With this betting pattern, however, the odds of it being true in this particular instance go up significantly. How significantly is the question. In order to make to correct decision, we need to quantify things, which is where the above calculations come in. Pokerstove will become your best friend for stuff like this. I can't recommend it strongly enough.

As to villain's range in the stove numbers, I included the majority of what's reasonable, I think. I left out made flushes because we're considering those in the other part of the calculations. Which hands did you have in mind?

An interesting piece of that, by the way, is that if we include more made hands (sets, other two pair, overpairs) into villain's range, your equity improves. If we include more pure draws, your equity also improves. If we include more combo draw type hands, your equity doesn't change much at all. That is, the range given is slightly biased against you.

Since villain's 3bet is pot commiting, I'm not sure how much difference there really is between a 3bet and a push. For some villains, probably quite a bit, for others, none at all. W/o a specific read, I hesitate to put much significance in that.

For myself, if I make a 3bet in villain's situation here, it's a push, as that's not all that much of an overbet. Against a decent player, I'm semi-bluffing with a TON of hands here, precisely because my fold equity is so huge against a massive portion of your range. I'm also pushing most (maybe even all) of my made flushes here because another heart on the turn or river will either counterfeit my hand and/or kill my action. Out of position, it's harder to control when and how money goes into the pot, so I'm much more likely to fastplay everything. I mix up my play by fastplaying my big draws as well as my made hands. The result is exactly the situation you're in here. You have a very, very strong hand, but still are in a really crappy spot. This is why fastplaying big draws is so amazingly effective against thinking opponents. Now will this guy do that? Good question.

In the end for this specific hand, I suspect that he actually has a flush pretty close to 25-35% of the time and you can fold or call and it's pretty marginal either way, so it doesn't much matter what you do in the long run. Flip a coin and go with it, or just trust your gut and do whichever.

The more important thing to look for here is how to analyze situations like this and quantify things. The more you can put dollar values on decisions, the more effective you'll be at exploiting small edges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post, getting into the details is pretty good for this situation.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:52 AM

Villain was BB so his range prior to the flop action is ATC. We just have to ask what hands does villain play like this from ATC? Since he gets to the flop with all suited heart hands as possible I think its a big part of his range. If you stove this you can include (best case) or exclude (worse case) all the semibluff hands.
Worst case equity = 30%
Best case equity = stove crashed before I finished but semibluffs are all combo draws so we are always way less than 50% equity

As someone said above...he let you know you are toast, fold.

Edit: not really ATC as TT+ and AK were excluded

Board: Th Jh Qh
Hand 0: 30.653% 24.68% 05.97% 22727 5495.50 { 9c8c }
Hand 1: 69.347% 63.38% 05.97% 58352 5495.50 { Ah9h, Ah8h, Ah7h, Ah6h, Ah5h, Ah4h, Ah3h, Ac2c, Ah2h, K9s, Kd8d, Kh7h, Kh6h, Kh5h, Kh4h, Kh3h, Kh2h, QTs+, JTs, 98s, 9h7h, 9h6h, 9h5h, 9h4h, 9h3h, 92s, 8h7h, 8h6h, 8h5h, 8h4h, 8h3h, 8h2h, 7h6h, 7h5h, 7h4h, 7h3h, 7h2h, 6h5h, 6h4h, 6h3h, 6h2h, 5h4h, 5h3h, 5h2h, 4h3h, 4h2h, 3h2h, K9o, QTo+, JTo, 98o }