Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Never been so embarassed in my life... (TR?)

This is not a question Per Se, just a little TR so skip it if you wont be intersted, instead of flaming me afterwards.

I am talking about a very friendly home game. 10 pound buyin and myself and two others (out of ten people) know what we are doing. The rest just sit there and drink and play any two cards and have a good laugh. This is fine with me, after all it is their invite and their house etc. I'm not going to be a poker Nazi and shout and scream. All I have to say occasionally is 'it's on you' or 'let me split that side pot up'.

The problem is I invited one of my brothers friends who I have played with and against online. The game began I had the usual 'tearing my hair out' moment when I raise with AK suited and the whole table calls (lol). Luckily I shook them off on the flop. Hit my flush and knocked out my friend that I brought along. He wasn't too happy but so what, thats poker luck plus skill.

Like I said, as most of the people don;t know what they are doing he helped out one of the girls with her hand every so often. I didn't kick off because aside from it not being my house etc. I'd rather be playing against someone getting advice than someone who hasnt a clue what they are doing.

He starts to play more and more of her hands until we are down to about 5 players. Suddenly she's taking a time out and we're back to 5 players including my friend who is a better player than the girl he took over from and on a par with the rest of us.

At this point I did say something - light heartedly like 'is this a second chance tourney now' but either people cant read between the lines or they didnt care. And if only I am saying something then I'm outvoted.

This I could put up with (ie. playing a better player depite how much I object) as the money isnt important to me but appearences are. This is when he starts acting like the biggest dick you can imagine. Seriously. Imagine those kids you want to face plant after they suckout on you and berate your play. But you say to yourself, you wouldnt do that to my face mate.

This was that kid, in my face.

I was getting so embarassed (as I had brought him along) it was unreal. He was criticising the only girl who couldnt play and I could see she wanted out asap. I really took objection to this and told him to STFU.

Basically he went on to win catching a miracle one outer and jumped up and down waving his arms about etc. hollering and I was shrinking.

I got up and left, obviously taking him with me hearing how well he played in the car on the way home, oblivious to my POV.

I won't be going back myself for a few weeks, possibly months, just because I am embarassed beyond belief through association and I'm sure as hell not inviting anyone else I know to anything EVER again.

I'm just posting this telling everyone how if something could go wrong in a home game, it did, to me on the one time I took a chance with a 'friend'. I won't be talking to him anymore about anything but has anyone else come across someone who just wont see sense?

I'm not a manners nazi or anything but I honestly believe online poker (being able to shout and scream behind a screen) has ruined people's perceptions about live poker.

Ignore my first disclaimer and flame away [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Re: Never been so embarassed in my life... (TR?)

completely unrelated and at the same time related:

i got a couple of box seats to a baseball game courtesy of work once, other people from the department, including a manager and the head of the department were there as well.

i decide to bring my friend.

the game is great, the box is great, good food, free drinks. my friend proceeds to get drunk and obnoxious, before passing out.

after i bring him home, i had to physically drag him out of my car. he made it to his front porch staircase, and there he remained until the next morning.

i've been EXTREMELY aware of taking friends to events since, doing the mental math of embarrassing situation likelihood.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:26 AM

One time, this painter I knew gave me tickets to a baseball game, in the managers box, and my friend Elaine wore a Orioles cap, and the friend asked her to take it off and she refused. It was very embarassing.

But that situation does suck. None of my friends would do that at the poker table.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:16 AM

Sounds like you're an embarassment nazi.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:33 PM

You should be embarassed, the Orioles suck.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should be embarassed, the Orioles suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think fraserbrown should be embarassed.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I won't be going back myself for a few weeks, possibly months, just because I am embarassed beyond belief through association and I'm sure as hell not inviting anyone else I know to anything EVER again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologize?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:57 PM

Poker is a great way to find out the true nature of your friends. The good guys are the ones who tell if they've seen someones hole cards or get too much money in a chip exchange. The [censored] guys are the ones who talk [censored] about peoples play and try to cheat in various ways.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:40 AM

Apologize to the host, and the woman he was berating.

Tell your "friend" that he was an ass and you won't be playing cards together again.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:45 AM

I hope your friend wasn't allowed to keep his winnings. Shouldn't the girl he was playing for get paid here?