Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 06:17 AM

Default Re: An Unbelievably Long Guide to Hand-Reading.

Boomp.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:27 AM

A+++++++++++++++ Bump
Old 09-24-2007, 11:06 AM

i usually don't read long posts - but this one was goood
Old 11-15-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Say a player has a VPIP of 40% and a PFR of 20% and they limp in front of you. What sort of holdings do you expect them to have? Well, we know the player is willing to play with 40% of his hands; our sample range for this looked something like "any pair, any ace, any king, any two broadway, any suited connectors 32s+." But we can already refine this range some more: we know that with 20% of those hands, villain would have raised, and here he didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since no one mentioned this earlier. Isn't this wrong. Doesn't he mean he raises 20% OF ALL HANDS, and not 20% of just the hands he plays?

Just want make sure. It doesn't change the point he's making but I need to know if I am mistaken.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:26 PM

Yes, PRF 20% means that of all of the hands you are dealt, you raise 20% of them.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Say a player has a VPIP of 40% and a PFR of 20% and they limp in front of you. What sort of holdings do you expect them to have? Well, we know the player is willing to play with 40% of his hands; our sample range for this looked something like "any pair, any ace, any king, any two broadway, any suited connectors 32s+." But we can already refine this range some more: we know that with 20% of those hands, villain would have raised, and here he didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since no one mentioned this earlier. Isn't this wrong. Doesn't he mean he raises 20% OF ALL HANDS, and not 20% of just the hands he plays?

Just want make sure. It doesn't change the point he's making but I need to know if I am mistaken.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct, but it was only bad wording. If you read the very next section it says:

[ QUOTE ]

If we assume that villain raises with his top 20%, our sample range for that looks something like "any pair, any two broadway, any suited ace." So take THOSE hands out of his current range....

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, what I meant was "he's playing 40% of his hands, he's raising 20% of his hands, and he limped here. That means he probably has a hand in the top 40% but NOT the top 20%." I go on to explain roughly what that range looks like.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct, but it was only bad wording. If you read the very next section it says:

[ QUOTE ]

If we assume that villain raises with his top 20%, our sample range for that looks something like "any pair, any two broadway, any suited ace." So take THOSE hands out of his current range....

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, what I meant was "he's playing 40% of his hands, he's raising 20% of his hands, and he limped here. That means he probably has a hand in the top 40% but NOT the top 20%." I go on to explain roughly what that range looks like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokey, I've always wondered if you actually read hands like this.

I haven't seen anyone who knows what 28% of hands looks like off the top of their head or knows what a 19/10 might be limping in with by using the difference between the numbers.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:20 PM

This is the best strategy/make-you-think kind of thread I've read in months! (it could have something to do with the fact that the two main forums I read are NVG and B&M, but nonetheless it's still the best I've read in a while!)

Seriously though, thanks Pokey for posting this, I bookmarked it to read again in the future.

benny
Old 11-20-2007, 05:41 PM

Super!
Old 11-20-2007, 05:57 PM

I've only been on 2+2 time for a short time now, but stuff like this is what is making me addicted! Thank you Pokey! This stuff is amazing, just genius. Thank you for this contribution. I am now going to search for everything else you
've ever posted lol