Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: More Joe Biden racial views

[ QUOTE ]
Only using pure statistics and no personal view there would be nothing wrong with what he said. Math and statistics are just that.

I'm pretty sure if you switched the whites and blacks though from Iowa and inner city washington DC the scores would stay the same in each area.

[/ QUOTE ]
Edit: mix up, never mind -- you're prob. right.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Democratic Senator and Presidential candidate Joe Biden has made some interesting remarks lately on racial/ethnic issues. In a Washington Post interview today, he commented on why test scores for students in Iowa are higher than in Washington D.C. The reason according to Biden: "There's less than 1 percent of the population of Iowa that is African American. There is probably less than 4 or 5 percent that are minorities. What is in Washington? So look, it goes back to what you start off with, what you're dealing with."

Is Biden saying that areas with white students are just naturally going to have higher test scores than areas with a lot of minorities? Apparently his staff realized that this sounded bad. After the interview, they released a statement trying to explain that Senator Biden was not really referring to race as an issue in the test scores.

Earlier in the campaign Biden commented on Senator Obama. He was so impressed with a black candidate who was "clean and articulate."

Earlier this year he made a remark about not being able to "go into a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts without an Indian accent."

Do I think Joe Biden is a racist? No. I think he simply has had a bad habit of using a poor choice of words. Considering others in public life have faced serious negative consequences for a poor choice of words, I wonder if this will ever catch up to Biden? Or will he generally always get the benefit of the doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

PAGING LEFT-WINGERS: ANOTHER EXPLANATION NEEDED.

Please provide the appropriate spin.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:30 PM

Who's Joe Biden?
<font color="white"> Not being for cereal</font>
Old 10-25-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[RedBean bat signal image neeeded]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's so tempting to make a pic with a spotlight on a Mexican wearing an Indian headdress, but that might be a bit over the top. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Note the difference between the right and the left. I have no problem saying Biden's remarks were stupid and ill-considered. Compare to the robust defense of Limbaugh, et al. on your side.

Which, of course, is exactly the point. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, Biden is a Democrat, he can be as racist as he wants and RedBean won't care.

[/ QUOTE ]

This assumption reminds me of the time you made the assertion that I thought anyone who was against affirmative action was a racist.

Despite the reality being completely opposite, in that I think affirmative action is crap.

You're like 0 for 6 on your assumptions about me, last I checked.

But, don't let that stop you, hoss. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2007, 06:08 PM

So no outcry that Biden is a racist?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Note the difference between the right and the left. I have no problem saying Biden's remarks were stupid and ill-considered. Compare to the robust defense of Limbaugh, et al. on your side.

Which, of course, is exactly the point. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly my point was that its sort of silly to call for all right wingers to explain the comments of any single conservative commentator. Most of us dont care for their style and have no problem calling them that the idiots that they are. And in the interest of full disclosure, I have defended some of those guys in the past, but those days are behind me.

PS If you were betting the over from the other thread, I guess you win. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2007, 06:28 PM

I find the remarks similar to those of Dr. Watson. Dr. Watson says the evidence shows that there might well be a genetic intelligence difference between blacks and whites. He then went on to say that anyone who has "had to" work with blacks would know this. It shows he's a bigot.

Biden was fine until his last sentence. If his last sentence had been, "And since blacks generally score lower on these tests than whites, it stands to reason that test scores in Iowa would be higher than those in Washington D.C," it would have been one thing. But when he says, "Look what you're dealing with" and you couple that with his Obama remarks, you're dealing with someone whose views may be similar to Dr. Watson's.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So no outcry that Biden is a racist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in any forum Iron81 moderates. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]