Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Working on pot control

I was reading Jman's posts about pot control, and trying to incorporate them into my own game a little bit. The flop line in Hand 1 especially is really non-standard for me. Is this good or am I just playing weak-passive here?

No strong reads in Hand 1, although UTG has been relatively low-profile. Game's on Bodog though, so opponents are generally a little on the soft side.

10/20 NL
Effective stacks: ~$2000
Hero is BB with red JJ.

Preflop: UTG raises to $60, 4 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks, UTG bets $90, Hero calls.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero checks, UTG bets $250, Hero calls.

River: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero bets $400.

(Note: I wasn't paying a ton of attention while multi-tabling in Hand 1 and thought the game was still going 8-handed. Would this be better in a near full game if it's too weak as is?)

Hand 2: Villian's a relatively new player who I haven't seen before.

10/20 NL
Effective stacks: ~$1500
Hero is SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Preflop: 2 folds, CO raises to $40, Button folds, Hero raises to $140, BB folds, CO calls.

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, CO bets $150, Hero calls.

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero checks, CO bets $400, Hero calls.

River: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero checks.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Working on pot control

I dont mind just calling from the bb once in a while like this. I think it's a good way to mix up your game

i dont like the river bet though. his hand rage is probably weighted towards air or a monster as i feel there are a lot of 1 pair hands he checks behind on the turn. your weak lead lets him no pretty much exactly where he is and he can fold/call/raise for value/bluff pretty well against your range.

i think my preferred line would be to check river and induce a bluff.

as for hand 2...i dunno about the reraise with A8 sooted and 75 blinds...i probably play it the same on the flop and fold the turn
Old 02-04-2007, 04:14 PM

[quote
as for hand 2...i dunno about the reraise with A8 sooted and 75 blinds...i probably play it the same on the flop and fold the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

dude minraised preflop. I kinda like popping it up with any hand you care to play in that situation.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:23 PM

Iggymcfly, do you have a link to Jmans potcontrol posts?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[quote

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i know, i just prefer to be deeper when doing it

i guess it's not bad to do though
dude minraised preflop. I kinda like popping it up with any hand you care to play in that situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-04-2007, 10:58 PM

did you once donk off like 8k one night at party 3/6nl? i seem to remember someone by your name just going allin every hand and cracking my top set aces with 34.

ezra
Old 02-05-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[quote

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agree, but donks don't like folding, and A8s isn't the type of hand I'd like to play OOP vs a player like that.

obviously if the player was weak/passive then its not bad, but I think he is going to call in this spot too often.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
did you once donk off like 8k one night at party 3/6nl? i seem to remember someone by your name just going allin every hand and cracking my top set aces with 34.

ezra

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure if you're talking to me but i've definitely done that at least twice in the last 9 months
Old 02-05-2007, 08:29 AM

I'd check the river in the first hand.

I think the reraise in the second one is bad.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

ezra

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't believe you remember that (if you're talking to me). A little over a year ago, I got completely trashed and started tilting and went through what at the time was half my bankroll. Only 6K though, not 8K.

As for the first hand, by villian's flop and turn action, I'm thinking he probably has a pocket pair, but will check behind with lower pairs and bet higher pairs on the river. With my river action, I'm representing either trips or a missed draw, so I'm thinking I can get calls from lower pockets while still not having to worry about getting raised by bigger pairs. Reasonable?