Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2006, 11:49 AM

Default God Is Mad At America

According to New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, "Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country."

When Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell say stupid things like this, they receive significant criticism from the mainstream media, not to mention 2+2ers. Will Nagin get the same criticism?

Plus, what do you think of his comments that New Orleans should be a "chocolate city" with a majority African-American population. If a white mayor said his city should be a "vanilla city" with a majority white population, I am guessing it would be the top story in the country for two weeks, and every newspaper in the country would call for his resignation.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Re: God Is Mad At America

[ QUOTE ]
If a white mayor said his city should be a "vanilla city" with a majority white population ...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it probably wouldn't need to be stated. Most cities have white mayors and a majority white population.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
According to New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, "Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country."

When Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell say stupid things like this, they receive significant criticism from the mainstream media, not to mention 2+2ers. Will Nagin get the same criticism?

Plus, what do you think of his comments that New Orleans should be a "chocolate city" with a majority African-American population. If a white mayor said his city should be a "vanilla city" with a majority white population, I am guessing it would be the top story in the country for two weeks, and every newspaper in the country would call for his resignation.

[/ QUOTE ]

What ever happened to Neopolitan flavors? What race would the strawberry be?

I heard his speech...it made me sad. Such stupidity.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:17 PM

I don't really know the context of that quote, but I'm willing to put forth that he meant it in the same way that any normal person with a stretch of bad luck would mean it. Much like I might say "whoa, bad karma" at bad luck even though I don't believe in karma.

Robertson and Falwell have explicit reasons and genuinely believe in baneful divine intervention meant to suade iniquitous heathens away from their base and depraved lifestyle. This is probably not what Nagin meant.

As for his other comment, who knows. There obviously is a difference between a white person saying 'I want a vanilla city' and a black guy saying 'I want a chocolate city.' The former would most likely be motivated by racism while the latter could be an ill-worded wish that their representatives not be some remote white guy that doesn't really understand their issues and problems. With the recent history of New Orleans I can't say I really blame him.

But I'm open to debate. Like I said I don't know the context of all this stuff so I'm just speculating.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really know the context of that quote, but I'm willing to put forth that he meant it in the same way that any normal person with a stretch of bad luck would mean it. Much like I might say "whoa, bad karma" at bad luck even though I don't believe in karma.

Robertson and Falwell have explicit reasons and genuinely believe in baneful divine intervention meant to suade iniquitous heathens away from their base and depraved lifestyle. This is probably not what Nagin meant.

As for his other comment, who knows. There obviously is a difference between a white person saying 'I want a vanilla city' and a black guy saying 'I want a chocolate city.' The former would most likely be motivated by racism while the latter could be an ill-worded wish that their representatives not be some remote white guy that doesn't really understand their issues and problems. With the recent history of New Orleans I can't say I really blame him.

But I'm open to debate. Like I said I don't know the context of all this stuff so I'm just speculating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who uses natural distaters and human suffering as a stage to talk about why God is mad at us deserves God's scorn more than anybody. Beyond the fact that it is utterly ridiculous, it is manipulative and evil...and I'm sure if there were a God he/she would strongly disagree with such behavior. Who the **** does he think he is?

Same goes for Falwell and Robertson obviously...that goes without saying.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:51 PM

The mayor sounds like an idiot.

Though I suspect there's a pretty good reason that Pat Robertson gets more attention this this guy.

One is a mayor most of us would never have heard of if it weren't the hurricanes... the other has been an outspoken controversial speaker and presidential candidate for decades.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:53 PM

meh, God punishes those he loves in this life so they can have less punishment or greater glory in the next life.

It's all relative.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What ever happened to Neopolitan flavors? What race would the strawberry be?

[/ QUOTE ]
Native American
Old 01-17-2006, 02:08 PM

"God punishes those he loves in this life so they can have less punishment or greater glory in the next life."

It's a zero-sum game?

Regards,
Andy
Old 01-17-2006, 02:41 PM

So if you're racist and black you're just a victim, but if you're racist and white, you're ignorant? I'm confused.