Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 11:55 AM

Default not sure where to post this...is tipping hurting equity?

I play $65 tournaments at a card club...they take $5 for dealers....and $10 for the house leaving $50 in the prize pool...lat week i won with 18 people for 450...i tipped the dealers 50 bucks and it felt like it really hurt my equity in the long run but if i didnt id probably be looked at horribly there from now on...whats most of your guys stance on this
Old 05-03-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Re: not sure where to post this...is tipping hurting equity?

Depends on why you play.

One way to look at it is that the dealers already got 10% of what the prize pool is, so additional tipping doesn't need to be much. (Your $50 tip on top of this was generous...dealers would consider this a good tip.)

Also, consider that in general the structure that you have takes a huge chunk of equity out of the pot (house plus dealer cut is 30% of what you get)....another reason for tipping smaller. (Also a reason for considering why you would play these tournaments at all.)

Having said that, the live MTTs I play, I tend to tip 10%...my considerations.

1) Gaming commission here just screwed the dealers and the $5 add-on was just taken away from them, so they actually need the money

2) While I want to make money (and generally do), I'm playing to have fun and a good social experience. I don't want to feel like a cheapskate.

3) Quite frankly, because I can afford it. I know the dealers need the extra income a lot more than I do.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:34 PM

not tipping is for [censored]

but having said that, i've never tipped 10% of my take, it's usually more like 3%
Old 05-03-2007, 12:41 PM

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job
Old 05-03-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks, mr. pink.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:10 PM

10% is for your manager.
5% is for the dealers.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:26 PM

My question is, what did the dealer do to help you? Nothing, he/she just dealt the cards.

But I'm ignorant like that. Don't judge me! haha

When I play live cash games, I will tip after the 2nd hand I win, but never the first.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:28 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks, mr. pink.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 05-03-2007, 03:52 PM

the first post after mine...that really put it in perspective good...the house doesnt use any of the money they take out to pay the dealers...the dealers only get the 5...which was $90 divided three-ways...thats like $10 an hour for the tournament and then they do cash games after...they were definitly very pleased with my tip and treated me great after...im starting to think its a bad tournament to play but i dont have a choice...as long as i can win 1 out of every 5 itll pay off but that seems difficult..ive played 3 times and won once so well see
Old 05-03-2007, 03:57 PM

i think tipping 10-20 is plenty on a win in a tournament like this. i might tip 5-10 for 2nd, nothing else for 3rd or worse.

i mean christ... how long did this tournament last? if it lasted 2 hours, then you are looking at about 3 "dealer hours" 2 tables for about an hour, then another hour for the final table dealer.

$5 from each of the 18 entries already went to the dealer.

That's $90 for 3 dealer hours already. If a dealer wants to complain about making $30/hour in tips, I say let him. Tipping 10-20 on a win, in my opinion, is very generous... and this comes from someone who has worked many years in the service industry (waiter).