Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: 2 questions - one about collusion the other about a definition

[ QUOTE ]
As others have said, opening means being the first one to voluntarily put money into the pot. It is a pretty old term; for example, five card draw was sometimes played "jacks or better to open" which means the first person to enter the pot needs at least a pair of jacks (seems like a stupid rule to me, but I don't understand draw).

[/ QUOTE ]

The jacks or better rule builds the pot. The idea is that if it doesn't open, the antes stay in the kitty and a new hand is drawn.

In a reasonably tight draw game, you can go 6 or 7 hands (at least) without a showdown, and probably all pots won on semi-bluffs with a pair or a high card. Building the pot keeps people interested.

An important thing to realize is the pot can be opened by jacks or better, but it doesn't have to be. You can have a wired full house and decline to open, hoping someone else will. Also, after it's opened, anyone left in action can bet.

I never played draw with blinds before playing it online, but I don't think jacks or better rules would make sense with blinds.

Like most 30 something poker players probably, I cut my teeth on 5 card draw and stud, and this is the way I'm used to playing. FWIW, I think it's pretty universal, but could be wrong.