Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 02:58 AM

Default need hand analysis

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t2280)
Hero (t3390)
SB (t2935)
BB (t4895)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t200.

Flop: (t675) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t600</font>, BB calls t600.

Turn: (t1875) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1000</font>, BB calls t1000.

River: (t3875) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: t3875

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 9c Tc (straight, queen high).
Hero has Jd Qs (two pair, queens and jacks).
Outcome: BB wins t3875. </font>
Old 07-27-2007, 04:02 AM

Default Re: need hand analysis

I'll assume this is a SnG that pays 3 players.

Personally I'd raise a little more preflop but if your opponents have been folding for the min raise than this is fine.

I'd push the river for value.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:43 AM

Bet river for value.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:37 AM

^^^^^^^ agreed
Old 07-27-2007, 02:57 PM

Raise to 500 pf unless the blinds are really loose then I fold. Flop and turn are fine, value shove the river.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll assume this is a SnG that pays 3 players.

Personally I'd raise a little more preflop but if your opponents have been folding for the min raise than this is fine.

I'd push the river for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea SnG that pays top 3. They usually had been folding to minraise so I just continued.

As for the other responses, bet river for value? Did you not see the results in white? I felt like he was trapping me after he called the turn so I just checked behind. If he had the open ender on flop he got there. If he had AJ he got there. If he had AQ with flush draw he got there. If he had a set on flop he's still ahead.

I guess I lost the minimum on this hand? I bet enough on turn to force out a flush draw I think, unless its some AQ/AK flush draw. When he calls the turn and the river is an ace, I'm almost always behind arn't I? What hand am I ahead of that he would call a bet with on the river? KJ?
Old 07-27-2007, 07:33 PM

What buyin was this? If it's something $22 or lower I'd expect you to be good atleast 75% of the time and will be often called. There are tons of hands that villian could have that he would call with (not saying he should call though). Stuff like JT, AT, KQ, KJ, QT, Axd, etc.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bet river for value? Did you not see the results in white?

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe betting the river for value is pretty clear, so clear that people will even point it out when you showed the results. For every time you will see a hand that beats your solid two pair after the villain checks the river, you should see a weaker hand that will pay you off several times: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], lower two pair, QT, Q9, and maybe even Jx because you are offering great pot odds.

Normally, when you are asking for advice on a hand, you should not show the results, because this will bias the responses to be consistent with the results, instead of the percentage play. This is mentioned in some of the FAQs in the strategy forums, and some moderators will even lock a thread when the results are posted in the initial post to avoid bad discussions.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the other responses, bet river for value? Did you not see the results in white?

[/ QUOTE ]

Suppose you have A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on a board of A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

You bet on the river, villain pushes all in.
Should you call?
What if I told you that villain had TT and you lost the hand? Now do you want to change your advice? Do you think you should be folding in this spot now?

You'll always be a beginner until you figure this out.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:28 PM

gotta do the same thing in the same position at the same time for the same hand no matter what the outcome in this immediate hand is, the idea is that if it is correct to make this vbet at the river and you do it over many many many times you will win more than you lose no matter how unlucky the Q on the turn was in this particular hand... see EV in theory of poker by DS, that will help on this concept i think [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]