Gamble 23 17.69%
Other (please reply with an explanation) 18 13.85%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2006, 03:46 AM

Default Re: *Official* USA v. Italia

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For those who are in the know:

Why have I watched a decent amount of studio coverage of the match and not heard one word about Arena's substitution mistake? Do the networks not want to [censored] on the parade that is a draw with Italy, or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard quite a bit on ESPN about Beasley being a lazy bastard, actually. No one else did?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't. Where did you hear this?

Do you mean during the game, or afterward? Cause I wasn't paying attention to the commentary during the game.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't. Where did you hear this?

Do you mean during the game, or afterward? Cause I wasn't paying attention to the commentary during the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh. Most of it was during the game.

"WTF, Beasley really has to start running out there - he's fresh"

"Fresh pair of legs out there, start running"

etc, etc. Heard it about 3-4 times, seriously.

EDIT: Er, not ESPN - the network's commentators said this. Sorry.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:52 AM

I did hear a little of this, actually.

What is Beasley's deal? Has he just gotten lazy? I thought he was supposed to be getting way awesomer since the last WC. He and Donovan are like the main media guys that they put on Sports Illustrated and stuff, so I figured they would do big things.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He and Donovan are like the main media guys that they put on Sports Illustrated and stuff, so I figured they would do big things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Beasley went to the Bode Miller School of Overhyped Underachievers
Old 06-18-2006, 04:55 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?
Default Re: !

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I rememeber one play where there was some kind of jump ball situation (don't know the soccer term) adn the u.s. guy got right back up and ran off and the italianguy grabbed his leg and rolleld around.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol dude, the american player landed on Cannavaro's foot.

[/ QUOTE ]

well then
Old 06-18-2006, 05:18 AM

I watched the Irish coverage of the game. After the game the analysis by the Irish commentators was very hard to watch. Here are some of the loose quotes:

"The Americans deserved to be down 2 men. The play dirty football to make up for their lack of talent." (meanwhile, they barely mentioned deRossi)

"All of this hype by the American before this game is nonsense. The whole 'let's win this for the boys in Iraq' is typical American garbage. This is the same thing you hear from the White House. It has no place in the World Cup." (WTF? We have our largest non-US military base in Kaiserslautern with 40k Americans living there, many of which attended the game. I guess we aren't allowed to be patriotic but every other country can be.)

"This game did nothing for me. It was by far the worst game of the World Cup. That was just poor football and a very bad standard." (This wasn't said in context of the red cards, but hopefully that was what he meant.)

After Beasley scored and was denied because of the offsides, the camera panned to Arena who was overjoyed then obviously disappointed, "Look at him carrying on like that. The Americans think they are so persecuted. It's a disgace to have your leader acting the fool. And every time the yellow/red card comes out it's the same story. I'm sure we will hear about the persecution from the American coach and players after this game."

The Irish analysts carried on for 20 minutes like this, just berating the USA with nothing positive to say. Finally, at the end, the presenter who had stayed out of most of the conversation says to his negative counterparts "well, the US did manage a tie despite being down a man".

I guess they are bitter because Ireland didn't even qualify for the World Cup. Who knows?
Old 06-18-2006, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I watched the Irish coverage of the game. After the game the analysis by the Irish commentators was very hard to watch. Here are some of the loose quotes:

"The Americans deserved to be down 2 men. The play dirty football to make up for their lack of talent." (meanwhile, they barely mentioned deRossi)

"All of this hype by the American before this game is nonsense. The whole 'let's win this for the boys in Iraq' is typical American garbage. This is the same thing you hear from the White House. It has no place in the World Cup." (WTF? We have our largest non-US military base in Kaiserslautern with 40k Americans living there, many of which attended the game. I guess we aren't allowed to be patriotic but every other country can be.)

"This game did nothing for me. It was by far the worst game of the World Cup. That was just poor football and a very bad standard." (This wasn't said in context of the red cards, but hopefully that was what he meant.)

After Beasley scored and was denied because of the offsides, the camera panned to Arena who was overjoyed then obviously disappointed, "Look at him carrying on like that. The Americans think they are so persecuted. It's a disgace to have your leader acting the fool. And every time the yellow/red card comes out it's the same story. I'm sure we will hear about the persecution from the American coach and players after this game."

The Irish analysts carried on for 20 minutes like this, just berating the USA with nothing positive to say. Finally, at the end, the presenter who had stayed out of most of the conversation says to his negative counterparts "well, the US did manage a tie despite being down a man".

I guess they are bitter because Ireland didn't even qualify for the World Cup. Who knows?

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF!

We need to bomb Ireland.

No, wait. We need to steal all the Guiness, then bomb Ireland.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:50 AM

Haha, stupid Irish. Its amazing how people with such a bias can get jobs in the media
Old 06-18-2006, 06:54 AM

To be honest, the Irish commentator I found about as annoying as the American ones, all of them narrated the game as if they were on radio (never stop talking) and then made frequent errors (calling players the wrong names, misinterpreting referee judgements), just the irish guy I guess was biased against the US rather than towards it.

Still enjoyed watching pretty much every game though. Its a nice change to John Motson and the mostache-idiot.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Eddie for McBride around 75-80th minute or so would have been a great boost and he could definitely have run at some of the tired italian defenders and at least shook things up a bit. I understand that McBride is the man, hes got the experience and all that but he was basically done at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

McBride should have been off as soon as he casued that goal to be disallowed due to being offside. You couldnt have asked for a clearer indication that he was mentaly and physicaly gone. A professional with any modicum of awareness left would have both stepped up with the defender and failing that would never flick a foot out at the ball as it passed.

A coach should have seen that immediately and then put on Johnson who looked like your best player from the first game and would have been able to hold the ball up with his pace and draw fouls from the Italians.

Terrible coaching, as with his play ala the off side McBride indicated he was to tired to contribute to the team efort and was so knackered he couldnt avoid making rookie mistakes.