Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Libertarians
I consider myself a libertarian and agree with the pro-israeli stance more than the pro-palestinian one. 16 76.19%
I consider myself a libertarian and agree with the pro-palestinian stance more than the pro-israeli one. 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: My Campus is getting shot up.

i was just watching cnn and some kid had taken a video with his cellphone of two people taking shots. They are also mentioning that 32 are dead now (not sure if this was mentioned before, didn't read entire thread).

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Will America ever realize that everyone having access to guns isn't a good idea

[/ QUOTE ]

If everyone has guns, these shooting rampages will be very short-lived. Outlawing guns only ensures that [censored] like this will happen because only the murderer will have a gun when the shooting goes down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt good things would come out of letting college students keep guns on campus. Violence was an every thursday, friday, and saturday thing at my school, and full out riots and street fights occurred at least every semester. Some idiot would bring a gun to one of these given the chance. Not to mention all the drunken shootings over girls, insults, cards, etc., and drunken accidental shootings.

I'm all for gun ownership, but college is practically a free-for-all.

I think it is more important to examine the cause of these incidents rather than focus on how many were killed or the mistakes the police or faculty made in responding to the incident. It is already too late when the bullets are fired and police have to intervene- our efforts should lie in thinking about how these incidents can be prevented rather than sensationalizing the event itself. I am quoting myself below.

[ QUOTE ]
Not to lessen the tragedy of this incident, but these things hardly come as a surprise to me. We breed a culture of violence, intolerance and insanity and then we are surprised when these deranged people go off on rampages. The U.S. has one of the highest divorce rates among the Western countries and is well-known for it's unstable familial structures and terrible parenting. A lot of children grow up having never been disciplined by their parents, if their parents were ever around that is. We are also one of the stupidest among the industrialized countries- we consistently score among the bottom in math and science in standardized global tests. I believe that our public education system is a joke and that students are not adequately equipped with the virtue or the skills to cope with situations that arise in life. Another contributing factor is that America is a hyper-competitive society and those who fall behind are marginalized and ignored. Lastly take into consideration this country's current political climate of vigilantism coupled with lax gun laws and these school shootings are hardly surprising. After all, over 60% of the world's serial killer population is located in this country. Call me a pessimist but I believe these shootings are only going to intensify and become more prevalent over the next few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a feeling we will see a large public negative reaction to the way VT handled this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, lawyers and lawsuits will follow. People will want someone to blame and the only person to really blame is dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there really was a shooting at 7:15 then VT can definitely be blamed. WHY HOLD CLASSES? Are they that important? Were they just doing media damage control, trying to keep it quiet?

If there was a shooting at my school, even if the shooter was dead or caught or whatever, there is NO WAY they hold classes.

Everyone of the students should have gotten an e-mail and campus police should have been at every entrance turning away off-campus sutdents, telling them campus was closed due to that. Police should have been absolutely swarming.

Obviously none of this happens w/o shooter, but (and this could change) how it looks now, VT [censored] up big time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly, if they had done this after the first shooting, there wouldn't have even been people in classes at all, since classes had not even started yet at that time. Sure, people might still have died, but it wouldn't have been hundreds of students trapped in classrooms getting shot like fish in a barrel.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:44 PM

My condolences to anyone affected in any way.

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is more important to examine the cause of these incidents rather than focus on how many were killed or the mistakes the police made in responding to the incident. It is already too late when the bullets are fired and police have to intervene- our efforts should lie in thinking about how these incidents can be prevented rather than sensationalizing the event itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and why it happened and how it could be prevented, nobody knows today, so discuss it in a week's time or so instead.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is more important to examine the cause of these incidents rather than focus on how many were killed or the mistakes the police or faculty made in responding to the incident. It is already too late when the bullets are fired and police have to intervene- our efforts should lie in thinking about how these incidents can be prevented rather than sensationalizing the event itself. I am quoting myself below.

[ QUOTE ]
Not to lessen the tragedy of this incident, but these things hardly come as a surprise to me. We breed a culture of violence, intolerance and insanity and then we are surprised when these deranged people go off on rampages. The U.S. has one of the highest divorce rates among the Western countries and is well-known for it's unstable familial structures and terrible parenting. A lot of children grow up having never been disciplined by their parents, if their parents were ever around that is. We are also one of the stupidest among the industrialized countries- we consistently score among the bottom in math and science in standardized global tests. I believe that our public education system is a joke and that students are not adequately equipped with the virtue or the skills to cope with situations that arise in life. Another contributing factor is that America is a hyper-competitive society and those who fall behind are marginalized and ignored. Lastly take into consideration this country's current political climate of vigilantism coupled with lax gun laws and these school shootings are hardly surprising. After all, over 60% of the world's serial killer population is located in this country. Call me a pessimist but I believe these shootings are only going to intensify and become more prevalent over the next few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yea man, i'm all for prevention and punishment, but i don't really think this is the forum to analzye this kind of stuff, a few people, including gw have asked for it to be taken elsewhere...i think this falls under that category...
Old 04-16-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the shooting at UW.

That was a murder suicide by a guy who was known to be stalking the girl that was killed. There was no concern that a gunman was loose on campus at all, because he was dead in the same room as the girl he killed.

The situations aren't really that similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually they are because theres no way the school knew that until after the police arrived and made that conclusion. So you are saying its perfectly reasonable for the school to assume that it was a murder suicide and not warn the students to stay away from campus until things are resolved? my bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a very easy way the school knew this. People knew who the guy was, there were restraining orders. All her co-workers knew that she was being stalked.

That shooting happened about 5 minutes away from where I work, fwiw.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the shooting at UW.

That was a murder suicide by a guy who was known to be stalking the girl that was killed. There was no concern that a gunman was loose on campus at all, because he was dead in the same room as the girl he killed.

The situations aren't really that similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually they are because theres no way the school knew that until after the police arrived and made that conclusion. So you are saying its perfectly reasonable for the school to assume that it was a murder suicide and not warn the students to stay away from campus until things are resolved? my bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a very easy way the school knew this. People knew who the guy was, there were restraining orders. All her co-workers knew that she was being stalked.

That shooting happened about 5 minutes away from where I work, fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

i cant believe you are defending this.

once again, answer my question: how was the university to KNOW that the guy had killed himself before the cops arrived and gave an official response? It took the news AT LEAST a few hours before they even knew the story, yet somehow the school was confident that everything was ok because some people recognized the dude as the girls stalker, and somehow was able to communicate all the facts to the proper authorities. yeah, that makes perfect sense, how wrong of me to assume that the university would take the safe approach and keep people off campus until they were 100% everything was OK. You are basically arguing that "shots fired" should not immediately send out an email to the student body warning them to stay in their rooms? please explain yourself.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How fast life can change. Last night I was upset about bubbling in the 2 bbv4l tournies. This surely puts things into perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is what some of the replies that were deemed 'tasteless' or 'inappropriate' were hinting at. Some of us have had things put into perspective, the hard way, a long time ago.

So everybody just [censored] chill and sent your best wishes or prayers or whatever you want to call them.

Peace.

-CC
Old 04-16-2007, 04:03 PM

can anyone confirm or deny that the first person killed was the shooters GF????

ive read most of the posts here and havent seen a confirmation of this but on CNN just now they said at first they thought it was one single isolated incident where a girl was killed in her dorm room.

is this her???

also since this is my first post here, my sincere condolences to all affected by this.