Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Bought Pats tix on eBay... now seller needs them back?

Is this guy FOS? I bought a set of Pats Eagles tix a few weeks ago and I want to attend the game, but I don't want to get turned away either.

Here's the email I got...

Dear XXXXXXX, The New England Patriots have revoked my season tickets. I've had them for 15 years. Someone I sold the redskin game to was caught trying to resell those tickets. I've been informed no more of my tickets will be honored which includes the Eagle game. I need to return all unused tickets to the Patriots . Please return those tickets for a prompt full refund. Please contact me so I know you have been notified. I am very sorry.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Bought Pats tix on eBay... now seller needs them back?

Pats vs. Stubhub
Old 11-04-2007, 09:51 PM

If it's legit he shouldn't have a problem sending you the money first since the tickets are worthless anyway.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:52 PM

Get the refund first, then send the tickets.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:55 PM

This seems as good a place to ask as any: Why don't sports and other live events do a better job of maximizing the amount of money they make from ticket sales? I heard a ton in the media about World Series and Hannah Montana tickets being bought up by brokers and sold for 500% markups. If people are willing to pay this much for tickets, why does the original seller let them go for relatively low, fixed prices?
Old 11-04-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pats vs. Stubhub

[/ QUOTE ]

Right... I'm aware of the recent StubHub case. However, (a) I bought these tickets on eBay, and (b) I was under the impression that 2007 tickets would still be honored.

I agree that this seller should send my refund before I ship the tickets. If it comes down to getting a refund vs. attending the game, though, I would still vastly prefer to attend the game.

Thanks for your insights.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pats vs. Stubhub

[/ QUOTE ]

Right... I'm aware of the recent StubHub case. However, (a) I bought these tickets on eBay, and (b) I was under the impression that 2007 tickets would still be honored.

I agree that this seller should send my refund before I ship the tickets. If it comes down to getting a refund vs. attending the game, though, I would still vastly prefer to attend the game.

Thanks for your insights.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you'd rather attend the game you should call the Pats and find out if they will honor your specific tickets. If yes, then screw this guy.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:03 PM

1) Season Ticket Holder sells tickets to Random Dude, you, and others via eBay.
2) Random Dude resells tickets via StubHub.
3) Pats bust StubHub seller Random Dude and hold Season Ticket Holder responsible.
4) Your tickets are no good.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why does the original seller let them go for relatively low, fixed prices?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they don't want to face the negative publicity from "gouging" consumers. Regardless of what the market will bear.

Also, you have to consider that in many cases the market won't bear those kinds of prices for ALL tickets. ie If a concert sells 25,000 tickets for $40 each even though a few people are willing to pay $500 per ticket, they probably would never have sold 25,000 tickets for $500 each. Only maybe a few hundred go for $500 a pop to people who are really desperate.

It's the initial sellout that creates an artificial scarcity that drives up prices. And if a lot of those initial tickets go to scalpers then they may be effectively cornering the market and driving up prices where otherwise the tickets would have met the demand at normal prices. Go back to that 25,000 seat concert. If scalpers buy 5,000 seats, suddenly there's a shortage of seats. If the scalpers were cut out of the market, there might be enough tickets available for regular people. But because the scalpers have tied up all those tickets there's not enough supply to meet the demand. And prices get jacked up.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:13 PM

Link.

[ QUOTE ]
In the ruling Judge van Gestel wrote, "The Patriots have said that they intend to use the identities of the purchasers and sellers not only for this case, but also for its own other allegedly legitimate uses, such as canceling season tickets of 'violators' or reporting to authorities those customers that they deem to be in violation of the Massachusetts antiscalping law."

[/ QUOTE ]