Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 01:04 AM

Default ESPN Coverage of Stud-8 at WSOP

I know I saw just a tiny sample of hands but some of the players were playing hands like split queens against several low door cards. I don't play stud-8 all that often or well, but isn't this a mistake?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:11 AM

Default Re: ESPN Coverage of Stud-8 at WSOP

i thought most the stud8 hands they showed were somewhat standard. I don't rember all of them except for the a8a vs a46s vs 555.

I think Lindgren raised with QJQ, got reraised by an ace and called by like a 3 and a 5 and folded, seems OK. Maybe just muck it in the first place.

Overall espns coverage of the horse event was good, however they only showed about 6 hands in the entire episode
Old 10-17-2007, 03:22 AM

Yeah, raising split queens when there is an ace behind you is kind of bad. It's very easy to get outplayed by the ace.

When I raise queens I generally hope for only one caller with low, and that he bricks on 4th. If he catches low on 4th it will be very hard to play your queens, because he may have a low draw and a high draw.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:47 AM

The only stud8 event I have played at the WSOP was the 1k, and the play is VERY bad probably due to people who simply play every event and/or the relatively low price tag. I saw people reraising with split tens, stuff like that.

The 50-100 stud8 cash game was good as well.

Jeff
Old 10-17-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only stud8 event I have played at the WSOP was the 1k, and the play is VERY bad probably due to people who simply play every event and/or the relatively low price tag. I saw people reraising with split tens, stuff like that.

The 50-100 stud8 cash game was good as well.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just the low pricetag. Many of the otherwise-solid tournament pros simply don't grok stud/8. I played both stud/8 events in 2004, finished a few dozen places out of the money both times, and walked away convinced that I had a huge overlay against the field.

And yes, that $50-$100 game is really, really swee---err, NO! Stay out of that game! Nobody plays it but the flintiest of rocks, who have been playing since Frank Henderson was a babe in arms. If you value your bankroll, STAY OUT OF THAT GAME! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 08:51 PM

Marginal play when you're a beginning stud player/ don't know the players well

Decent play when you have many years of stud experience and know your players good.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:27 AM

Since this has evolved into a discussion of the stud 8 play at the wsop I would like to ask the people who played a few questions.

Given the ante/bring in levels does a tightish player have the time to play before being anted away?

Are the other players aware/react to tight or loose players?

Any other advise or comments you can offer would be appreciated.