Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Affiliates/RakeBack
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Looking to market a good deal, but I have no idea how

I've never been an affiliate before, but I've always thought it would be a good way to make some cash on the side. Recently I ran into an old friend who knows the manager of an online poker room, and for that site he can offer a rakeback deal that beats any other one out there at the moment. Affiliates on this forum have claimed that any offers over a certain amount are unauthorised, but this offer is legit. A good way to get into it all, I thought.

Anyway, so beyond taking out advertising on this site, which I plan to do, I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips as to how to get the word out? Really I'm more interested in getting people sub-affiliating under me than anything else, but I just have no idea where to begin at the moment.

Hope this post isn't out of order in any way.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Looking to market a good deal, but I have no idea how

I owned a rakeback directory for 19 months and found this place was the only useful advertising venue. I wasted tons of money trying new venues. I'm sure a few affiliates have found some nice places they got exclusive deals but it is very unlikely you will easily find another good advertising place. The main problem is that unlike 2+2 most sites run their own affiliate ads. They don't want your ads much less the word rakeback mentioned.

As for offering higher then caps one of two things are likely to happen. You will get in the trouble with a network or other affiliates will go to the poker room and demand you be held to the cap or the cap be raised. Getting into a rate war never seems to help affiliate causes although players obviously like it. If you offer x% and the cap is y% expect for your rate to get matched or expect to be told to lower yours.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:45 AM

Hi,

Breaking into the business is not easy. There are a few key area's you can and should focus on, each dependent on your skill set and budget:

-Banner advertising
-SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
-Partnerships
-Sub-Affiliates
-Branding
-Directories
-Word of mouth

Some of these are more expensive than others and the ones that get the most traffic aren't necessarily the ones that cost the most money, if you know what you are doing.

I suspect most major affiliates started out by just signing up a few friends, learning a thing or two, signing up their friends's friends and then taking out a small ad some place and building a cheap site.

There is a fairly steep learning curve and if you go in throwing a ton of money at your site right off the bat, it might not be the best move, as you are likely to make some costly mistakes.

One thing you can do is maybe consider working with a larger site who can help guide you in the beginning, and also get you deals on most rooms that you could not get on your own.

Good luck to you, it ain't gonna be easy [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Heidi

RakeAid.com
Old 01-17-2007, 12:28 PM

Here is the problem with marketing the most percent. No one really cares, ok, some people really care but those people don't matter. As the site itself the only thing that is important is how good ultimately the games are, if you have just high% guys your games won't be good.

If you need proof of what I am saying just go to WSEX.com, it is a ghost town and they give it all back. You need bad players for a site to work. It sounds like your site is a start up and frankly a start up won't make it in the environment that currently exists.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:02 PM

Though I can't say I'm particularly encouraged, I appreciate all your responses. Makes me realise just how much work lies ahead of me.

Just wish I'd acted on the bright idea to become an affiliate a few years ago when it first occured to me. Must have been a much different market back then. There just aren't that many friends or friends friends around these days who haven't found their home online.

Thanks again.