Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 03:48 AM

Default I feel kinda silly posting this... (top pair [censored] kicker)

but I cant stop wondering how to play this right, wich is undoubtedly not how I played it.

So top pair [censored] kicker against 7 players oop. Against that many players I check and see what develpes. MP1 bets and is called by a bunch hmm, I realize I have the odds for 2pair so lets call, but if i call shouldnt I have bet in the first place ?

Dont ask why I bet the Turn, my head was completly empty as it still is now, what do I consider in that type of situation ?

thx for reading & helping ;(

Pacific Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (7 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB folds, Hero folds, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 09-22-2006, 04:02 AM

Default Re: I feel kinda silly posting this... (top pair [censored] kicker)

You gotta bet the flop. It's not a great kicker, but it's going to play, so you could do worse. It'll change everything about the hand from that point forward and probably let you see a showdown.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:08 AM

I am not sure it changes everything. MP2 still probably has us beat if he raises the turn. However, I think the best play on the flop with a hand like this is to c/r. Thin the field out, gives you a better chance to win and it will let you see where you are. Then bet the turn and see where to go from there.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I think the best play on the flop with a hand like this is to c/r. Thin the field out, gives you a better chance to win and it will let you see where you are.

[/ QUOTE ]
K. Who's betting?
Old 09-22-2006, 04:25 AM

My bad, didn't catch that. I agree with you, bet the flop.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:45 AM

There are ten small bets on the flop. So, you need more than 4 outs to the nuts to call. The two remaing Qs are full outs (a flush or straight is very unlikley with this board). So, you need at least another 3 outs. I wouldn't regard the remaining 3 9s as full outs (maybe between 0,75 and 0,5 each). So you cannot call profitably here. You should have folded after the raise.

[ QUOTE ]
K. Who's betting?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand. What do you mean?
Old 09-22-2006, 07:47 AM

I'm changing my post... I like the idea of betting out, calling a raise, and possibly folding the turn ui.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(a flush or straight is very unlikley with this board).

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 09-22-2006, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
K. Who's betting?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What he means is that since you don't know where the bet will be coming from, planning a check-raise to thin the field might not be the best idea.

I fold this flop. Even if I do make my hand, I could still lose to a better Q. I can't bet/raise for value against this many opponents, I can't protect my hand against the probably six overcards against my hand, I'm out of position, there are a number of turn cards that I don't want to see, and I have no outs to buy here.

Set your hand up on twodimes or something, and see how you are doing against a large field of random hands (I prefer pokercalc 1.1.4.1 - google it). Realize that some of your opponents are going to have somewhat better than average hands.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are ten small bets on the flop. So, you need more than 4 outs to the nuts to call. The two remaing Qs are full outs (a flush or straight is very unlikley with this board). So, you need at least another 3 outs. I wouldn't regard the remaining 3 9s as full outs (maybe between 0,75 and 0,5 each). So you cannot call profitably here. You should have folded after the raise.

[ QUOTE ]
K. Who's betting?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No they are not.

This hand is easily check the flop and let the action behind determine what you do. The villain position is what sucks here (an early better and lots of action, you can fold, last to act bets and you can raise.)

In this case, a check of the flop is best. Against 2-3 opponents, a bet is best. I call the bet.

Edit, On the turn, I have no idea

LLL