Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 05:00 PM

Default SSH \"Pot Equity Edge\" understood correctly?

SSH pgs. 36-37:
"If all four of your opponents call to see the turn, you will contribute 20 percent of the money, but your equity is 35 percent. This represents a "pot equity edge", as you will net a profit worth 15 percent of all the flop betting."

In reverse, if NOT all four opponents call, will I loose my pot equity edge?
I understood this as follows: If one opponent folds, I will contribute 25% of the money and my edge drops to 10%. If two folds, I loose my egde, because now I have to contribute 33%.

As a conclusion, the concept of pot equity edge should be handled with care in somewhat tight games.

What do you think?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: SSH \"Pot Equity Edge\" understood correctly?

[ QUOTE ]
As a conclusion, the concept of pot equity edge should be handled with care when playing out of postition.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp but you've got it.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:24 PM

When I try to exploit my pot equity edge by raising (or betting), every player on the table has the possibility to fold. This is independent of position, isn't it?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:38 PM

Yes, but if you're IN position, you already know how many are in the hand. As their odds after your raise will always be better than even on thir initial call, you can be pretty sure that everyone will stay. Not so when you're OOP.

So if pot is 6:1 for someone in MP and he calls, 3 call behind him and you raise, he's now getting 12:1 for his second call if the original bettor just calls your raise and still 13:2 = 6.5:1 if the original bettor 3bets.

This of course changes with the number of opponents in the hand, but you get the idea.

Not so if you're OOP. If you were 2nd to act in above example, if you raise, you present anyone with 7:2 = 3.5:1 odds. They might not want to call that. So even though you have a 35% draw, it might be better to just call and hope all 5 opponents come for the ride.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:57 AM

Using the example of a flush draw, when OOP, its better to check with the intention of raising if there are enough callers to push this edge. This works best of the bet comes from your left. OTH, if it is checked to the player on your right (assuming you are first to act, and the player to your right is last to act) and he bets, call looking for overcalls, unless you know that you have at least 2 others behind you who are loose enough to call 2 bets (if this was the case however, you are better off betting out on the flop).
Old 04-18-2007, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I understood this as follows: If one opponent folds, I will contribute 25% of the money and my edge drops to 10%. If two folds, I loose my egde, because now I have to contribute 33%.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so simple since your chances to win the pot increase with everyone who folds. Of course this is more true for a hand like top pair than for a draw.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so simple since your chances to win the pot increase with everyone who folds. Of course this is more true for a hand like top pair than for a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it is so simple. The difference is that if you've got the best hand you typically have a 30-40% equity-edge over your opponent(s) and you have to employ different tactics to exploit it.