Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Why AHK scripts ?

Here is a really long thread from the AHK forum discussing the two languages.
link

I have not read much of the thread. But I assume, if you filter through the finger pointing and name calling (probably from both sides), there might be some answers in there about which does what better. Just go in with an open mind. Think about what you expect to be doing and see which does that best.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's common for programmers to be competent in a dozen languages

[/ QUOTE ]
quite off-topic but that's not true. Many people (not programmers) know some basics of many languages. But programmers learn a new language once or twice a life (I don't count basic o pascal what are "study" languages).

I had a talk with few java programmers (local developers) and none of them can program big projects in C.
You can learn syntax quickly but it takes time to master something.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is a really long thread from the AHK forum discussing the two languages.link

[/ QUOTE ]
problem solved. That's exactly what I wanted.

Quite long but never mind. Finally I have something to read at THAT room [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I had a talk with few java programmers (local developers) and none of them can program big projects in C.
You can learn syntax quickly but it takes time to master something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously a matter of interpretation - but there really is no need to "master" a language - learning the syntax and general good practice is normally good enough.

Speak to some decent C/C++ devs and ask how many days it took / would take to become competent in Java with the aid of a decent book [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

programmers learn a new language once or twice a life

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol no - programmers learn a new language every time there is a need to. Which is often.

Seriously, most programmers will know a ton of languages.

Point is, languages exist at differing levels of abstraction from the hardware - and C/C++ is very close to it - which makes it bitch hard to learn, but once you do, learning other languages with a C like syntax (e.g. Java) is very much easier than going the other way.

Back on topic, i've had a bit more of a read of the AutoIT docs now. Yet to see anything that makes me want it (and believe me, if I found a hint I could do something I want to that I can't currently in AHK, I'd spend a week really learning it).

AutoIT's HotKeySet ( "key" [, "function"] ) looks totally Impotent next to AHK's hotkey implementations - I mean, the AutoIT version cannot contain function arguments - essentially useless for the scripts I write.

If I had to guess with my limited knowledge so far - I'd say AutoIT is targetted towards unattended automation of applications / computer systems - while AHK is more slanted towards user input driven control of applications / systems, given the more powerful hotkey setup. From what I understand so far, AutoIT can take the name of a function to be triggered via hotkey - while AHK can trigger entire scripts - or a multitude of functions with parameters, etc.

I suppose Hotkey in the name indicates this direction, too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Admittedly the GUI stuff does look nice - and there is more abilities present (as standard) in AutoIT than AHK - but not many - and With DllCall and the superb coders on the AHK forum, one can accomplish anything with AHK GUI tools (C/C++ experience is very useful in this instance - messing with Win32 via DllCall).

Am I right in thinking you are trying to pick a first programming language to learn?

AHK has by far the simpler syntax, which was kinda confusing for me at first (more like Basic than C++).

Also, I'd pick AHK for no other reason than the open-source license it is released under. This ensures it will never just disappear / become unsupported (and if you know C+ - you can check out how functions do what they do - if you don't you can try an learn by example [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

If you are picking a first language to learn - I'd strongly recommend one that people you know are good at - it will speed the learning process greatly if you have someone to ask when you get confused.

Obviously feel free to ask AHK questions in this forum, you are bound to get answers quickly - but if you are good friends with Java devs - learn to read/write that if you think it will be useful - then turn your hand to AHK/AutoIT whatever you want to learn next [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

dave.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:39 PM

Maybe I'm more techie than it's usual but I care very little what people right around me are used to. I wanna the best available.
After all that's internet. No matter what you will find enough people that know something even about let's say sexual practices of pythons.

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, the AutoIT version cannot contain function arguments

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, that's what I was looking for. The problem is I have no clue what it means for me. I'll have to try both and see.

I've also read through the forums but it seems like two group of children with separate sand-boxes...