Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: what do christians say about chinese people

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if a Christian has a Chinese friend, isn't it his duty to this person to do absolutely everything he can, including physical abuse and torture to convince the Chinese guy to save his soul and believe in Jesus?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I tell myself, but sometimes I think I'm just doing it for fun.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Despite its official secular stance, the government of the People's Republic of China (PRC) has claimed the power to approve the naming of high reincarnations in Tibet. This decision cites a precedent set by the Qianlong Emperor of the Qing Dynasty, who instituted a system of selecting the Dalai Lama and the Panchen Lama by means of a lottery which utilised a golden urn with names wrapped in barley balls. Controversially, this precedent was called upon by the PRC to name their own Panchen Lama. The Dalai Lama and the majority of Tibetan Buddhists in EXILE do not regard this to be the legitimate Panchen Lama. The Dalai Lama has recognized a different child, Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, as the reincarnated Panchen Lama. This child and his family have been taken into 'protective custody' according to the PRC, and all attempts by members of the EU parliament and US government to garner guarantees of the family's safety have been denied by the PRC. There is some speculation that with the death of the current Dalai Lama, the People's Republic of China will attempt to direct the selection of a successor, using the authority of their chosen Panchen Lama.

The current Dalai Lama has repeatedly stated that he will never be reborn inside territory controlled by the People's Republic of China[4], and has occasionally suggested that he might choose to be the last Dalai Lama by not being reborn at all. However, he has also stated that the purpose of his repeated incarnations is to continue unfinished work and, as such, if the situation in Tibet remains unchanged, it is very likely that he will be reborn to finish his work.[5] Additionally, in the draft constitution of future Tibet, the institution of the Dalai Lama can be revoked at any time by a democratic majority vote of two-thirds of the Assembly. The 14th Dalai Lama has stated, "Personally, I feel the institution of the Dalai Lama has served its purpose."[5]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-22-2007, 03:01 PM

Well, being a Chinese American I could never take Christianity seriously once I thought more about it. A book written about stuff that happened in the Middle East by people in the Middle East. They claim to know the "correct" way of living, which like every culture claims to do so. And when I see stuff like Islam, which and other similar competitors and I find it interesting. But I can only see them as literary works.

It would be like 30 different people coming up to you and saying that they know everything (with the truth obviously being in their favor), and everyone else does not. And they have absolutely no proof. Certainly Chinese people have come up with similar superstitions as well. I can only view them all the same.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, being a Chinese American I could never take Christianity seriously once I thought more about it. A book written about stuff that happened in the Middle East by people in the Middle East. They claim to know the "correct" way of living, which like every culture claims to do so. And when I see stuff like Islam, which and other similar competitors and I find it interesting. But I can only see them as literary works.

It would be like 30 different people coming up to you and saying that they know everything (with the truth obviously being in their favor), and everyone else does not. And they have absolutely no proof. Certainly Chinese people have come up with similar superstitions as well. I can only view them all the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. My problem is with OP's initial post which is so lacking in insight, reason or creativity and is so full of "[censored]". Its the best I can give him but I am hopeful for the sun rises again on all of us.

Some of the baboons who followed his post should really take vows of silence.If they do, growth for them should be exponential. I hope he and his minions understand what this "censored" means.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't Christians think its strange that God choose not to spread his word to the entire human population?

does this suggest that Christianity is actually a man made invention and thus only exists in region it was invented?

Also, if a Christian has a Chinese friend, isn't it his duty to this person to do absolutely everything he can, including physical abuse and torture to convince the Chinese guy to save his soul and believe in Jesus?

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree with the first two sentences, why only target Christians? Aren't all religions, at least ones that have exposure outside their religion, guilty of the same thing. I notice that many secular people who promote cultural relativism and open-mindedness have an extreme, almost illogical hatred for Christians. How hypocritical, as if their beliefs only apply to certain groups of people.

As for the last sentence, are you serious? As a former Christian (currentely agnostic), I don't know of a single passage in the bible that advocates that, and even if there is one, I can tell you that I have not met a single Christian personally that believed in torturing in order to convert someone. If this happened on a regular basis, hell, if it happened at all, the media would have a field day.

This may have happened in the past, but a lot of religions have been guilty of attrocious things in history. This is why I am dumbfounded as to why Christians are the only group considered PC to target. For example, Ghegis Khan converted to Buddhism, the Muslim religion spread throughout the Middle East by the sword, the Samurai killed for the Emporor (their God, and lets not forget Nanking), many tribes of various beliefs practice tribalism (which is a PC way of saying racism) and outside of religion, Mao and Stalin were atheists! .(significant considering atheism has only started becoming widespread in the last 150 years). I could go on and on, but research some history and you would find that mankind is surprisingly similar, and few groups were immune from evil.

Does this mean that all these groups of people are evil? Hell no! It just proves that their are manipulative crazies in every group of people. To look at crazy Christians and say the entire group is hateful is stereotypical and completely illogical. Perhaps you guys have watched too much Colbert and Family Guy.

[ QUOTE ]
My fondest girlfriends have been Asian. To contaminate their happy, sweet, innocent outlook on life with hateful, Christian concepts is a sin against the elegance of humanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, looking at history, there are obviously many Christians that didn't follow their own teachings. But cmon, hateful concepts? Love your neighbor, do unto others, give to the poor, do not kill, yeah, very hateful. Also, isn't condemning an entire group of people, well, hateful?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. My problem is with OP's initial post which is so lacking in insight, reason or creativity and is so full of "[censored]". Its the best I can give him but I am hopeful for the sun rises again on all of us.

Some of the baboons who followed his post should really take vows of silence.If they do, growth for them should be exponential. I hope he and his minions understand what this "censored" means.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly when the words "Chinese" and "Christian" cover more than a billion people, broad statements tend to be kinda meaningless.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't Christians think its strange that God choose not to spread his word to the entire human population?

does this suggest that Christianity is actually a man made invention and thus only exists in region it was invented?

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree with the first two sentences, why only target Christians? Aren't all religions, at least ones that have exposure outside their religion, guilty of the same thing. I notice that many secular people who promote cultural relativism and open-mindedness have an extreme, almost illogical hatred for Christians. How hypocritical, as if their beliefs only apply to certain groups of people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's probaly because Christianity is what many of the posters are exposed to, and most of us here have been affected by the agenda of some Christian extremists [UIEGA, etc] But if there were more posters who came from the Middle East, you'd probaly hear more about Islam too.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:25 PM

^^^

Regardless, the point of the post was that it is stupid to lump all Christians under the same boat as the extremists and attack the hypocrisy of the open-mindedness concept. Being affected by certain idividuals of a group doesn't make it logical to slanderize the entire group, especially when used to give legitamacy to my side of an issue (both sides are guilty of this, I'm not saying the original poster was, but others after him were). For example, is it logical for me to compare all Muslims to terroists? Is it logical for me to compare all atheists to Stalin? No. As you said, broad statements are meaningless. As a libertarian, I know I been have affected by the agenda of a lot more then just Christian extremists, doesn't make it logical for me to stereotype every group of people that disagree with me.

(Slightly Off topic and not directed at anyone: As a strong supporter of free speech, I am not going to say if I am for or against stereotyping. I will say that if someone is to claim they are strongly against stereotyping, then they should really do some self-evaluation, or they will look like a hypocrite.)
Old 08-22-2007, 07:26 PM

There are too many kinds of Christians to answer OP's question.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes you think that God doesn't want the gospel spread to the entire human population??

[/ QUOTE ]
That he revealed himself to a very limited part of the population and advocated the destruction of other people is a big hint.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any documentation to support this?

[/ QUOTE ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_testament
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades