Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 07-13-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: TV Pundits, Commentators and Anchors

[ QUOTE ]
Hello katyseagull, yes I think it is fair to say that as a younger man Chris was a liberal. He worked for Tip O'Neill(former Dem speaker of the House) for six years and was a speech writer for Jimmy Carter.

This is pure speculation on my part(based on my observation of him during this era), but I think his party willfully ignoring rampant campaign funding irregularities that were commonplace in the Clinton era(and many other scurrilous activities, including some which got Cinton disbarred in Arkansas and necessitated his resignation from the Supreme Court bar) really dampened his enthusiasm for the Democratic party and is much of the reason he voted for Bush as opposed to Gore in 2000. I believe he is still a liberal at heart on most issues, save the gun issue and some conservative tendencies arising from his Catholicism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to read this. I thought I was losing my mind. I didn't realize that he was a speech writer for Jimmy Carter. That's pretty interesting. And he voted for Bush?! You're kidding! This really surprises me.

Did you ever get a chance to see Darrell Hammond do Chris Matthews on SNL? Oh my god that guy is so funny.

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMiCKspdGnXMBGlSjzbkF/SIG=14m6vt4vk/EXP=1184433162/**http%3A//us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/tv_pix/nbc/saturday_night_live_episode_photos/darrell_hammond/snl3.jpg[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2007, 01:42 PM

Most irritating:

Old 07-13-2007, 01:45 PM

I think I'm getting mellow as I get older. A lot of these guys don't really bother me all that much. I can watch O'Reilly and it is simply entertaining. I really don't dislike very many of them at all. Mainly Limbaugh and Coulter.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm getting mellow as I get older. A lot of these guys don't really bother me all that much. I can watch O'Reilly and it is simply entertaining. I really don't dislike very many of them at all. Mainly Limbaugh and Coulter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw like two minutes of O'Reilly last night and was howling with laughter. He's SO over the top, it's like watching a t.v. wrestling match disguised as journalism. He should squeak a bulb on one of those clown horns several times a sentence. There is nothing remotely respectable about this guy, and I wonder how hard up for attention you have to be to go on his show. I mean, this guy even managed to make a PETA spokesman look like the voice of reason.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:41 PM

Does this guy count?

I'm all for taking down child predators but I just can't stand this smarmy [censored].

Most irritating ever:

Arrogant, judgmental azz. His fall was so great it took a whole network news department with him, that of the legendary Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite no less.

I hated Rather so much my reaction was that of Nelson Muntz: Ha Ha!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I saw like two minutes of O'Reilly last night and was howling with laughter. He's SO over the top, it's like watching a t.v. wrestling match disguised as journalism. He should squeak a bulb on one of those clown horns several times a sentence. There is nothing remotely respectable about this guy, and I wonder how hard up for attention you have to be to go on his show. I mean, this guy even managed to make a PETA spokesman look like the voice of reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is over the top for sure. He gets all wound up and starts shouting at his guests [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. Pretty entertaining. I don't dislike him though. There are even times I find myself agreeing with his position. Usually when it comes to kids and bad parenting.

The other night I was watching him talk about the conference at Boulder High school pertaining to sex and drugs. Of course I was completely skeptical of his take on it and figured he was distorting the facts, yet I understood his disapproval. The problem with Bill is that he doesn't present things in an even handed and honest manner which completely damages his credibility.

O'Reilly gave me one of the biggest laughs I've ever had. I will always be grateful for it. How can you hate a man who misuses the word falafel?

Old 07-13-2007, 06:18 PM

Chipwrecked -

Agree with you on the child predator guy. What's his name, Chris Hanson? I cannot stand him.

[ QUOTE ]

Most irritating ever:

Arrogant, judgmental azz. His fall was so great it took a whole network news department with him, that of the legendary Edward R. Murrow and Walter Cronkite no less.

I hated Rather so much my reaction was that of Nelson Muntz: Ha Ha!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I don't hate him exactly. What's the word I'm looking for...pompous? Stuffy? Yeah I guess arrogant sort of hits it on the head. I'm not a fan of Rather or CBS news at this point. Is there that much difference between CBS and the other networks?

I was pretty disgusted when I found out that Katie Couric tried to pass off some light fluff about libraries as her own. Turns out it had been plagiarized from the Wall Street Journal. My faith in the news team over there dropped to an all time low. There's just no excuse for that.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:39 PM

Funny thing is, t.v. journalism is such a sham now that she couldn't muster up what would probably be her best defense -- that her staff does the writing and research, and she just reads a teleprompter. She has to go along and pretend to be dishonest just to keep alive the illusion of not being even more dishonest.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny thing is, t.v. journalism is such a sham now that she couldn't muster up what would probably be her best defense -- that her staff does the writing and research, and she just reads a teleprompter. She has to go along and pretend to be dishonest just to keep alive the illusion of not being even more dishonest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't watch her video essay on libraries so I hope I'm not presenting it inaccurately but as I understood it she was reminiscing about her memories of going to the library as a kid and how much it meant to her. I might be wrong. If her staff is the one that does the writing and research then exactly what does she do? They could replace her with that Cat Deely host on So You Think You Can Dance.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:51 PM

She looks cute and builds a rapport with the audience. Most of these guys are very far from journalists.