Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 11:00 PM

Default 1/2 Stud High: 4AA 5th Street Decision

So it's been a while since I've posted- kind of took a hiatus from Stud for a couple months after a huge bad run- I think I got tired (like I am of NL HE now).

At any rate, I'm trying to remember how to play again. I've thought about this hand a lot, and I'm still unsure of what the proper line is.

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.10

(converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (5.30 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (4.65 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]????
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

With his lead out, I believe seat 1 just made two pair. Fine, I can still outdraw him (4s and Ts still being completely live), but I really don't like this multi way pot. So should I re-raise? The other two look very weak so a re-raise should fold them out, but while it protects my hand, it also forced me to lead on 6th, which turns my hand face up if I check, and he's going to bet once he realizes I have aces up. Also, there's the chance that they might fold anyway if I just call (at 1/2- lol?)

Anyway, so I do raise? And if I get it HU, do I lead 6th since I'm going to have to call a bet anyway? Maybe charge a flush draw (though I've discounted this because it doesn't seem likely that a flush draw would lead into a pair of obvious aces on 5th).
Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Re: 1/2 Stud High: 4AA 5th Street Decision

Hands like these are why I completely fail at Stud HI, seems like raise fold or call are all options.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:46 AM

I like a raise to try to force the other guys out. You do cite valid reasons for concern, though, so I think you're thinking along the right lines.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:13 AM

I raise in this spot.

Seat 1 could have 2 pair, trip 5s or even a four flush (he would have seen only 2 clubs go by so his equity is pretty good, unless he is pretty nitty) or a four flush that has a J of clubs in the hole. We are likely behind a fair bit, even so, I raise.

Reasons:

The pot is pretty decent and I am not folding yet.
I don't want to make a winning Aces up and find the guy behind me has made trip 3s or hit a gut shot or something. He is unlikely to reraise with 2 pair fearing your Aces up.

You have to discount trips a bit, as most players would go for a checkraise on fifth, specially as the other boards are not too threatening.

If you get re-raised, well then the call gets interesting.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:44 AM

I would raise here. The pot is becoming large, and there is some chance that your aces are actually ahead, in which case not raising is a big mistake. If he happens to have two pair, then raising and betting 6th at worst only costs you a small amount of expectation, since you get the pot heads-up and have plenty of outs to improve to a winning hand anyways. The value of isolation might even make it a winning play, but I'm not sure.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:42 PM

So if we raise and get what we want (2 folds and a call), we pretty much have to lead 6th, right?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:46 PM

Why? You're probably behind, and the other guy isn't folding. I think only if you think he'll fold two pair to a river bet should you bet on sixth without improvement.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise in this spot.

Seat 1 could have 2 pair, trip 5s or even a four flush (he would have seen only 2 clubs go by so his equity is pretty good, unless he is pretty nitty) or a four flush that has a J of clubs in the hole. We are likely behind a fair bit, even so, I raise.

Reasons:

The pot is pretty decent and I am not folding yet.
I don't want to make a winning Aces up and find the guy behind me has made trip 3s or hit a gut shot or something. He is unlikely to reraise with 2 pair fearing your Aces up.

You have to discount trips a bit, as most players would go for a checkraise on fifth, specially as the other boards are not too threatening.

If you get re-raised, well then the call gets interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

This explanation is perfect. On 6th you should check call (assuming you both rag). If he check behind on 5th, you can be sure he was on a flush draw, so you check call the river no matter what, and if he bets then you can be sure he has at least two pair, so you fold the river UI or bet if you improve.

If 5th gets 3B, be prepared to call him down unimproved because he could easily be doing this with 2Js+4 clubs.

Either way, if he catches a club on 6th, you should check call, even if you improve. If you make Aces up on the river check call. If you make 3 aces I'd bet out and call a raise if it comes.

Carlos
Old 07-04-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why? You're probably behind, and the other guy isn't folding. I think only if you think he'll fold two pair to a river bet should you bet on sixth without improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]Because if I check he bets anyway?
Old 07-04-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Because if I check he bets anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you bet 6th, then you are forced to pay off the river unimproved, since you don't know if he is on a flush draw or not. By checking 6th you know where you are at on the river, because he is unlikely to bluff 6th after you raised on 5th.