Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Marlins/Brewers Suspended Game Strategic Decisions

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=270410128

"The Brewers-marlins Game Has Been Suspended Due To Rain With The Score Tied 2-2 In The Top Of The 11th. The Game Will Resume Wednesday, April 11 At 7:05 PM Et, With The Regular Scheduled Game To Follow Afterward."

So how should both managers play this tonight?

A friend and I were discussing whether or not the Brewers should consider bringing out Dave Bush (the Brewers scheduled starter for tonight's regular, scheduled game) to pitch the 12th and beyond.

Depending on his pitch count and the length of the conclusion of last night's game, he could then conceivably be brought out to start the 2nd game. The Brewers would then have to make sure they have a pitcher 'shadowing' Bush and ready to start the 2nd game in case his pitch count gets too high closing out the extra inning game.

Now, neither team can make roster changes for the conclusion of last night's game. But I *think* they could make roster changes for the 2nd game. So, would it be possible for the Brewers/Marlins to send down one of their bullpen guys who pitched in last night's game (and won't be available to pitch today anyway) and call up a pitcher from the minors to "shadow" their regularly scheduled starter?

Depending on the length of the breaks between the two games, I think a manager almost has to consider using their scheduled starter for today's game to begin the suspended game. If Ned Yost sends out a relief pitcher to restart yesterday's game for the Brewers, how does he then know when to start warming up Bush to start the regularly scheduled game? Bush could start warming up in the 12th inning, the game could go 20 innings, and he would be warmed up and sitting for quite some time.

Does anyone know how long the break will be between the games? Any thoughts about how each manager should play this?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Marlins/Brewers Suspended Game Strategic Decisions

Whatever the Marlins do, they shouldn't let Jorge Julio close.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:24 AM

Haven't looked into the details yet, but this much I know:

Only players eligible at the start of the suspended game are eligible to participate when the game is resumed. Teams cannot make changes to their 25 man roster to be effective for the suspended game. Also, and this should be obvious, players who appeared in the suspended game and were removed from it are not eligible to re-enter when the game continues.

Strategically, I don't think it makes sense to use tonight's scheduled starters unless the bullpen was depleted prior to the game being suspended. There will be ample time between games to get the starters loose. Also, transactions can occur between games, just like in a double header.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:17 AM

I doubt that Bush warming up, throwing a few innings, sitting around getting cold, warming up again, and throwing a few more innings is something the Brewers would like him to do.

Furthermore, a day after you used six pitchers, it doesn't seem like a good idea to have a starter who may be able to go only three or four innings (in the second game today).

-McGee
Old 04-11-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know how long the break will be between the games? Any thoughts about how each manager should play this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heard it from a reliable source (interview of Capuano on local radio, I'm in Milwaukee).

Same reliever who finished last night will take the hill in 12th today. Unless Brewers take the lead in top of the inning, then Cordero comes in to close.

Regular scheduled starter in 2nd game.

20 minutes between conclusion of 1st game and start of 2nd game. 7pm EST (which was regular start time) for 12th inning. After both games Brewers then have a charter to St Louis--will be a late night for them, plus I'm sure last night in Miami wasn't an early one.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:35 PM

To veer from the strategic discussion, I went to one of these 1.5-header's before in Atlanta. They finished the inning from the previous game, had the 20 minute break, and finished the second game all in under 3 hours. I <3 Maddux.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever the Marlins do, they shouldn't let Jorge Julio pitch.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-11-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Ned Yost sends out a relief pitcher to restart yesterday's game for the Brewers, how does he then know when to start warming up Bush to start the regularly scheduled game? Bush could start warming up in the 12th inning, the game could go 20 innings, and he would be warmed up and sitting for quite some time.

Does anyone know how long the break will be between the games?

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea of the game 2 starter getting loose while game 1 is still in progress is pretty ludicrous.
Usually 20-25 minute break between games which is plenty of time for the starter to get loose.

Yes, this sometimes means the completion of the suspended game can take just 5-10 mins and then you are stuck with a long break practically right when you got there.

This reminds me of my broadcast days in the Florida State League when we had a suspended game followed by a double-header.

Technically, triple-headers are not legal.
But the completion of a suspended-game officially takes place on the day it STARTED so in this situation it is okay to play 3 games on one day.

So we finished the suspended game, had a break, played game 1 of the DH, had a break, and played game 2 of the DH.
We also had a 3 1/2 hour rain-delay in the 3rd inning of the 'middle' game.

The whole triple-header went from 4:30p to 2:11a.
Good times.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever the Marlins do, they shouldn't let Jorge Julio into the stadium.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-11-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever the Marlins do, they shouldn't let Jorge Julio out of his house.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]