Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2006, 07:56 PM

Default California\'s attempt to end run the Constitution

Makes them 0 for 2 in major legislation this week.

If they think they dont have the appropriate relevance under the electoral college system, wait till they are swinging an otherwise Blue electoral college winner to a loser because of a few popular votes.

Exit polling would also have an even more profound influence on California voting than it already does.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:16 PM

Default Re: California\'s attempt to end run the Constitution

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2006, 10:31 PM

link

California's changing their laws to grant the state's electoral votes to the candidate who wins the national popular vote. If adopted by sufficiently many states, the effect would be to circumvent the electoral college. Given that the EC is a bizarre, uselss anachronism, I think this is a great idea and I wish them the best of luck.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bill passed along party lines, 23-14. Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has not taken a position on the bill, spokesman Darrel Ng said.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am baffled as to why voting on this bill would be along party lines. Are Republicans particularly enamored with the electoral college? Do Democrats believe they are more likely than Republicans to be screwed under the current system? Anyone?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:47 PM

A useless anachronism that prevents a handful of large cities from usurping control of the Federal Government.

I love the liberal "defenders of the Constitution" when it come to protecting the rights of pedophiles and protestors who disrupt funerals, but when it comes to a fundamental principle that protects the interests of less populated States, the Constitution is an anachronism.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:49 PM

1. The current system gives a slight advantage to Republicans. The electoral college gives a disproportionate number of electoral votes to small states, and small states tend to vote Republican.

2. Republicans oppose the bill because Democrats support it.

3. Democrats care about this issue more than Republicans because of the 2000 election.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The bill passed along party lines, 23-14. Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has not taken a position on the bill, spokesman Darrel Ng said.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am baffled as to why voting on this bill would be along party lines. Are Republicans particularly enamored with the electoral college? Do Democrats believe they are more likely than Republicans to be screwed under the current system? Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

currently, Big states ARE being screwed by the Electorial college

under the current system, smaller states with fewer electors have more undue influence then they should - the states with the most populations have less influence then they should because of the Electorial college.

Whatever design the founders had of keeping states rights is no longer a concern - both sides will shout Federalism if it's to their benefit - right now it's the Democrat's turn - when it's moral issues, it'll be the Republicans -

pretty soon we'll probably all be putting our hand on the Constitution and swearing to uphold the Bible - so I wouldn't worry too much about what's constitutional. If things don't change soon we'll all be living unconstitutional lives.

RB
Old 09-01-2006, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A useless anachronism that prevents a handful of large cities from usurping control of the Federal Government.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as long as we're not scaremongering. I've never heard someone claim the undemocratic nature of the EC as it's main virtue. Besides, I'm not even sure your argument makes sense. Sure, big, urban states are hurt by the EC, but they also get "free votes" thrown in from their surrounding rural areas. Upstate NY, which has lots of Republican voters, for example, is dragged onto the Democratic side by NYC. Furthermore, given that the popular vote and the electoral vote almost always coincide, how important can this be?

[ QUOTE ]
I love the liberal "defenders of the Constitution" when it come to protecting the rights of pedophiles and protestors who disrupt funerals, but when it comes to a fundamental principle that protects the interests of less populated States, the Constitution is an anachronism.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. Not really sure what you're talking about, but I'm glad you love it.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Democrats control heavily populated urban areas in every state, red or blue currently. In a close election where the electoral vote is different from the popular vote that is more likely to favor Republicans. Eg Gore won the popular vote in 2000, but lost the electoral vote.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:21 PM

I see, thanks guys. That should've been obvious, in retrospect.