FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2006, 10:23 AM

Default Re: interesting chat with WSEX support

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Top notch security. Taking all money out now...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, let's analyze this. You give your money to a company for the purposes of gambling, but have a problem with the employees of that company from manipulating the money which you yourself have entrusted them with. Now who the hell is suppose to manipulate the money in your account for the purposes of gambling within the company? The gambling fairy in the sky???

[/ QUOTE ]

One scenario:

This company has outsourced support. Low wage grunts. These often quit their job. What if one who quit decides to collect a bunch of usernames+pw before he leaves?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're pretty much [censored] then. But that is the risk you take with gambling on the internet.

It's like what if you go to a home game and get robbed afterwards? "You pays your dues, you takes your chances."

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a risk that doesn't exist if the passwords are encrypted and not visible to employees.

Even on forums where no money is involved passwords are encrypted. On a gambling site where people have lots of money in their accounts it should be mandatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with encrypting as a security precaution. But who is to stop the software people from getting into that? In the end, it is a matter of trust. We hope our money will be safe because it is in the best interest of the company to do so.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really see a problem with this...it's a new account, never used, and they're providing a new generated password. It's pretty much standard practice, it's the same as sites like neteller sending you a password via email or poker sites allowing access after a secret question is answered.

If it was an established account with money in I'd be worried, but in this case, no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-21-2006, 10:45 AM

WOW! The implications of a site giving out a newly generated password for a dormant, unused, empty account is MIND BOGGLING!

They should have made you fax them multiple times various pieces of identification, had you follow several verification procedures, wait 3 to 4 weeks, and then lock your account when you attempt to cash out.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WOW! The implications of a site giving out a newly generated password for a dormant, unused, empty account is MIND BOGGLING!

They should have made you fax them multiple times various pieces of identification, had you follow several verification procedures, wait 3 to 4 weeks, and then lock your account when you attempt to cash out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, so you play on Party too eh?
Old 05-21-2006, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow thats horrifying. are you sure there isnt something you missed? maybe you verified your id somehow? maybe you had no money in your account so it doesnt really matter if they give you the password?

[/ QUOTE ]

it is not about the money in his account, it is the new found access to his web wallet.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First Last: how do I retreive the password?

Darren: your password is now XXXXXX

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that have to do with it? You claimed that the employees couldn't see the passwords. The part I quoted shows they can.

Of course if they can see the pw, they can set a new one. That goes without saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to see a password to set a new one, generally.

Regardless, what they should have done is e-mail the password reset procedure to the e-mail account on record.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's possible that they noticed you were talking to them from the same IP address you last connected from, and therefore assumed you were you.

[/ QUOTE ]

family members using the same PC are the most likely to hack a poker account.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First Last: how do I retreive the password?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that have to do with it? You claimed that the employees couldn't see the passwords. The part I quoted shows they can.

Of course if they can see the pw, they can set a new one. That goes without saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to see a password to set a new one, generally.

Regardless, what they should have done is e-mail the password reset procedure to the e-mail account on record.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. If all you need is an e-mail adress (and not access to the mail itself) it seems you can phone them up and get both the username and a fresh pw.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really see a problem with this...it's a new account, never used, and they're providing a new generated password. It's pretty much standard practice, it's the same as sites like neteller sending you a password via email or poker sites allowing access after a secret question is answered.

If it was an established account with money in I'd be worried, but in this case, no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-21-2006, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no reason for a password to ever be visible to the employees of a poker room. Poor programming and as a result huge security holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the host reset the password, there is no mention of him seeing the original:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]