Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-07-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Re: For fathers: remember when you first became a daddy?

[ QUOTE ]
Given the current theme of childhood/babies/etc, I asked NT to move this thread to the Lounge,m and he kindly agreed.

enjoy the reread.

[/ QUOTE ]
My initial reaction was sadness due to the post immediately above yours.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heh. Mine were both by c-section and I was in the operating room for both. Jar of dirt under the bed because their grandad insisted they be "born over Texas soil" even though we were in St. Louis.

[/ QUOTE ]

VNH
god how i wish i had thought of this.

I grew up in Texas, now living in S.C. (which is nice except for the conservative, anti-poker mentality) where we will stay, but I am VERY nostalgic for Texas, and wish my kids couild have said THEY were Texans.

I think i need a Big Red!!
best wishes,
doc
Old 11-28-2007, 08:15 PM

bumped for the guy asking about being a new father.

I will add the baby I talk about in the first post has just turned twelve, and is over 6 feet tall.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:56 AM

My ship let me go on leave when it was headed to Halifax for a couple weeks. She was a couple weeks overdue and we went in for a checkup. The doctor simply asked "You want to have a baby today?". They gave her the drugs to induce labor at 11am, and she was stll in labor at midnight.

Finally, my son was born at 3am on Oct 10th 1987. His first act on earth was to pee on the doctor. The nurse turns to me and asks if I want to cut the umbilical cord. My response was a look of horror and practically shouting the word "NO".

They hand Billy to me and I look at this dripping wet wrinkled little guy, and think "it's you and me, buddy. Whatever else happens, it's you and me".
Old 11-29-2007, 10:22 AM

Advice for fathers:

1. Don't worry, your dad didn't know what he was doing, either.

2. No, no--not that Spock!

3. Second thought, maybe you should worry.

4. Never tell anybody that you and your wife are "trying."
We really don't need the visual, that's why.

5. Never tell anybody where your child was conceived, how long it took, or what song was playing.

6. Do not name your baby after cities, geographical points of interest, features of the solar system, seasons, plants, animals, or current television stars.

7. Your child, at birth, already has a deeply complicated relationship with his mother, and, for the first year, you are only a curiosity.
For a couple of years after that, an amusement-park ride.
Then, a referee.
And finally, a bank.

8. If you want to subject your son to the unkindest cut, insist on a local anesthetic, since many pediatricians don't bother to use one.
The anesthetic is for the kid.

9. Baby gas is lessened with a good nipple connection during feeding, which decreases air intake.
Assuring that his lower lip is flipped out, not pursed, helps.

10. There is nothing wrong with thumb-sucking, which helps ease the pain of teething.
Nonetheless, it probably ought to stop by kindergarten.

11. Diaper-rash remedy: Expose baby's hydraulics to the air until dry. Soak baby's bottom in tepid water with a half cup baking soda. Then, Balmex. Or Lotrimin. Rediaper.

12. You know how they say you'll get used to diapers? You won't.
Unless you wear them a lot.

13. Forcing children to use toilets will make them dislike toilets.
Children begin using toilets when they tire of that not-so-fresh feeling.
Of course, this is long, way long, after you tire of it.

14. The start of crawling: usually begins between six months and twelve months.
Standing: usually between nine and twelve months.
Walking: between twelve and fifteen months.
The onset of the above, as with all developmental skills, is hugely variable among individual children.

15. Avoid walkers, not only because they can be dangerous around stairs but because they don't require a child to balance and thus retard his walking progress.

16. Reason boys are better: They cannot get pregnant.

17. Reason girls are better: They're less likely to get arrested.

18. The threat of an unknown punishment is always more effective than a stated one.

19. Annals of great punishments: Hang dolly from a noose!
That was a joke, Dad, a joke.
Annals of great punishments, for real: making him wash the car, clean the bathroom, and watch The McLaughlin Group.
You see, all great punishments should reduce the number of disagreeable tasks you would otherwise have to perform.

20. Teach by example.

21. Your kids can develop an independent sense of good taste only if they're allowed to make their own mistakes in judgment.

22. Relax: Lots of little boys want a Barbie and a dollhouse.

23. The first time you change your son's diaper and he pees all over you is not an accident. It's foreshadowing.

24. Children of too-strict parents are more likely to develop tics.

25. Let them take reasonable risks: A few scrapes in the long run are nothing compared with the scars left by hovering parents. Or tics.
In preparation for risks: a Red Cross first-aid course.

26. The most common cause of fatal injury among kids between five and nine involves cars, which is to say, hold their hands. And buckle them in.

27. Try to tuck them in every night, too.

28. When changing diapers, avoid baby powder, as it can irritate her lungs.
When changing diapers, definitely don't avoid the Desitin--spread it thick, like Spackle.

29. It never hurts to videotape the baby-sitter.
Especially if she's hot.

30. Never disclose to other parents that you have found a good baby-sitter.

31. Reason boys are better: They cost less, especially their clothes.

32. Reason girls are better: They're less likely to burn, slash, or chew the clothes they have.

33. Overalls are not only cute, they provide a convenient handle.

34. At a certain point, your child will appear to survive exclusively on peanut butter, french fries, Cheerios, and hot dogs.

35. Dropping food on the floor is a new and delightful skill to a one-year-old, not a deliberate attempt to annoy you.
However, as small he or she might be, never underestimate an infant's ability to project chewed food over great distances.

36. The single most important thing a father can possess: Wet-Naps.

37. NOW, more than ever, don't move into a place without laundry facilities.

38. Children's hobbies to nip quickly in the bud: drums, archery, matchbook collecting.

39. Beware your child's uncles, who will teach your kid dirty words, introduce him to liquor, and give him gifts of drums, archery sets, and possibly matches.
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2007, 10:52 AM

I have 2 kids- a girl who is 6 going on 16 and a boy who is 5.

We were lucky in a way. We didn't have to go through labor. Both kids were pre-planned C-Sections due to a fibroid that my wife had removed from the wall of her uterus a year or so before she got pregnant. The wall of her uterus may have ruptured if she went through labor, so the doctor wanted to do a C-section, which was fine with my wife. She wasn't real big on experiencing labor.

So we knew the day it was happening on for both kids a month or so in advance, so there was no surprise there. The only surprise we wanted was the sex of the baby.
The only problem my wife had was during the first one, there was a lot of bleeding from the uterus that he had a hard time controlling. He probably would have had to remove her uterus if he couldn't get it under control. Thankfully he was able to. I had no idea this was going on. I was over at the table with my new daughter in complete amazement over what we just brought into this goofy world.

When my son was born 16 months later, the doctor was prepared for the bleeding. He had blood standing by this time, but this timne the bleeding wasn't bad.

My wife couldn't see my daughter come out of her. They held her up, but not high enough. she was able to see my son come out. It was quite a thrill for her. I was able to see both kids come out, and I still get choked up when I think about it.

My wife liked to say we had Hollywood babies-their heads weren't all smooshed from being squeezed through the birth canal.

Both those days have to be the happiest days of my life. All the mystery of figuring out how to take care of something so little, even though they are made of rubber, just lay there, eating, sleeping, and pooping.

When we were trying to figure out names for our second kid, if it was a boy it was going to be between Anthony Michael and Aaron Michael. My wife called me at work and told me that the C-section date was gong to be August 16, 2001 and that happened to be the date that Elvis Presley died in 1977. I said that Elvis' full name was Aaron Elvis Presley(or Elvis Aaron, I can't remember which). I told her that's a sign that we should pick Aaron if it is a boy. And no we are not Elvis fans.

My mom was very happy when my son was born. He was the first grandson. My brother and sister both had girls, so everyone was very happy to see it was a boy.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:19 AM

My wife developed severe preeclampsia. We ended up in the ER and 3 days later my daughter was delivered via emergency c-section, 12 weeks premature. She weighed 2 lb, 3 oz.

That was the scariest [censored] thing I have ever been through. Our daughter lived in an incubator for about 8 weeks. We brought her home when she was just barely over 4lb.

She turns 3 next week [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2007, 02:06 AM

i'm sure it was scary, and hard to deal with.
she looks great now! congrats.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:08 PM

My oldest was an interesting experience. My wife went into labor about 10:00 pm. After a few hours at home we went to the hospital. Everything was going along smoothly (though slowly.) When the doctor got there about 10:00 am he checked on my wife and said that the baby was breach and we'd have to do a c-section. Things moved fairly quickly after that and we had our son shortly after 11:00. When I heard it was going to be a c-section I broke down. I was very nervous for my wife's safety (even though a c-section is fairly common) and we just didn't mentally prepare for the surgery at all.

WARNING RELIGIOUS CONTENT: A few days later I went to church. I had been in kind of a rut with my faith and needed a boost. I questioned how great a sacrifice was really made by Jesus --- I mean there are martyrs who die for their faith and they didn't have the benefit of knowing they were god. And then it hit me...the great sacrifice wasn't just dying, it was sending a child to death.

------------------

Our first daughter's birth was a scheduled c-section. Really, we were both cool as a cucumber. Nothing really out there with that one, though we really did bring a beautiful baby into the world.

----------------

The twins' birth was something else entirely. My wife was scheduled for a c-section on Thursday, September 27th (this year.) The doctor wanted to do an amnio on Tuesday the 25th. I was saving up my time off work and decided to head to work instead of the amnio (my wife's mother went with her.) I was on the train and just about to Chicago (hour+ train ride) when I get a call on my cell from my mother in-law saying "turn around, they're taking the twins today." The train schedule was not compliant, so I took a $100+ cab ride to the hospital --- nervous as hell. The twins were born about 10 minutes after I got there at 10:50 and 10:51 respectively. Anna was whisked away to intensive care and Emma, my wife, and I headed to recovery. The nerves were really high about Anna, but there ended up being nothing wrong.

My kids = cute [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (and slightly aryan looking)