Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 10-11-2007, 12:48 PM

Default hero runs bad...freezes and forgets how to play cards??!!

okay...quick background...was running good for a while and hit a stone wall...still getting my money in very well majority of time but hit the inevitable 2 outer trail...next step is of course...the ass backward step where I call when i should fold and fold when i should call...not as bad as I used to have it but not fully at zen yet...

okay onto the hand...looks simple but please list my mistakes...8 rebuy on stars...been bleeding chips and semiout of sorts...should I have pushed this pre? He was opening a fair number of pots? bet flop after check (seems best)...push over turn raise (borderlin but not impossible)

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t400/t800
(Ante: t75)
9 players

UTG: t9204
UTG+1: t30952
MP1: t8073
MP2: t21863
MP3: t31943
Hero: t18968
Button: t18554
SB: t32283
BB: t14980

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds
UTG+1 raises to t2400
Hero calls t2400
3 folds

Flop: (t6675) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG+1 checks
Hero checks

Turn: (t6675) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG+1 bets t4800
Hero folds
Uncalled bets: t4800 returned to UTG+1.

Final pot: t6675
Old 10-11-2007, 01:02 PM

Default Re: hero runs bad...freezes and forgets how to play cards??!!

if hes opening a lot and you think theres a good chance you are ahead here, you have nice size stack to shove PreF with. as played, i think its fine. ive encountered a lot of villains who will raise preF w KK or AA and look to c.r the flop.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:29 PM

I would fold this.

UTG opens 3xBB and knows he is committed if anyone calls - further he doesn't push with M=5 but raises.

I think you have no FE if you shove and well be a underdog most of the times. Stack sizes are too low here to play this one postflop, so I'd just muck it preflop.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:36 PM

lev..dunno...maybe it was being card dead but in my mind I was thinking call or push...short as I was and given standard payout structures I can't see folding here...course that may be because I've been living in turbo land for too long also!!!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold this.

UTG opens 3xBB and knows he is committed if anyone calls - further he doesn't push with M=5 but raises.

I think you have no FE if you shove and well be a underdog most of the times. Stack sizes are too low here to play this one postflop, so I'd just muck it preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

its UTG+1 not UTG and he has an M of about 13 or 14 didnt' do the math. There's FE but I don't think he folds after opening early for 3x. BTW i think this is a fold as well to an early position raiser because if he's any competant at all he range is far ahead of ours.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:00 PM

funny thing is that if I hadn't been running like dogchit I may have folded this...poor mental state plays and also the Barry philosophy about everyone else being total donkeys also kicked in...
Old 10-11-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would fold this.

[/ QUOTE ]

its UTG+1 not UTG and he has an M of about 13 or 14 didnt' do the math. There's FE but I don't think he folds after opening early for 3x. BTW i think this is a fold as well to an early position raiser because if he's any competant at all he range is far ahead of ours.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes - you're completly right of course (i shouldn't post while i'm at work and diverted).

This changes the hand somehow - I think you are too deep for pushing this over the UTG+1 raiser and too shallow for a lower c-bet - I think the call was fine.

On the flop your check was good imo - this looks like an check-raise attempt and turn as well.

So nothing wrong with the hand imo.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:23 PM

I agree, I think you played the hand optimally, you have to smash the flop to continue, but the hand is too good not to see a flop vs an aggro.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM

I think it's close btw making it like 9k/calling and shoving pre. Calling is tough b/c u could still get squeezed and UTG+1 is going to c-bet most flops when u miss. On flop u have to bet, UTG+1 is not checking this flop with an overpair unless it's AA, since your range here is mostly PP's. Shoving the turn is bad, b/c u can't rep anything after u check the flop.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:00 PM

erc...hence the frozen hero title...without seeing his cards I still think I should have pushed pre and if checked to pushed flop...as I butchered it I have no issue with the turn fold...freezing up in crucial spots is a sign of the poker apocolypse for me so I'm gonna go into drydock for a bit