Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-18-2006, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Glenn Beck- Latest Example of Logic Challenged Arrogant Moron

Scroll towards the bottom of this blog post for more on the wisdom of Glenn Beck.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:57 PM

David,

I love how you use logic to refute the facts. Put your straw men down.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:16 PM

I suspect there are a lot of people here that don’t truly grasp the idea of marginally diminishing returns/utility, Which would explain why there are so many anarcho-capitalists here (I guess more so in politics).
Old 11-18-2006, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect there are a lot of people here that don’t truly grasp the idea of marginally diminishing returns/utility, Which would explain why there are so many anarcho-capitalists here (I guess more so in politics).

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you like to explain this a bit further?
Old 11-19-2006, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you like to explain this a bit further?

[/ QUOTE ]

He could try. But since the first snide coment was exactly backwards i wouldn't expect much out of the explaination.

NeBlis
Old 11-19-2006, 02:30 AM

One of the reasons I never wanted to study economics was because I was worried that even with approximations introduced into functions, theoretical models could still be way off due to hidden complexities.
Example:

suppose the amount of tax revenue (R) is given by some complex function of the tax rate (T) like So:

R= kT^2 +T/2Dsin(T) + c

where k,c,d are constants fitting experimental data to this equation.

Though I made up this equation and it is obviously not correct at all, there are tons of economics textbooks filled with equations like this that describe economic quantities like revenue and taxes.
The reason I distrust these models is that I think there is alot of "variance" in economic phenomena caused by political, social factors etc. Taxes could suddenly be effected by some new crazy factor like a war. Because of this and also because I distrust economists in general I think that it is a bogus field.
I'm interested if anyone else thinks that economic/mathematical theories are worth formulating and studying or not?
Old 11-19-2006, 03:31 AM

Without addressing the underlying Snyder jab one way or the other...

Donald Schlessinger once publicly fell for what might be called a "sucker bet". Does it follow, and does it meet objective analysis, that Donald Schlessinger is a "logic-challenged arrogant moron?" Or is it possible that anyone can be lead astray by abstruse (or even mundane) subjects from time to time? If so then how do we explain his excellent blackjack book? Hundres of pages of getting it right by being lucky?

If I write how Issac Newton was best described as a logic-challenged arrogant moron on account of his laughable bible notions, I think I might get an objection or two...ya think?
Old 11-19-2006, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First and foremost this is not a post about the subject of taxation. Please do not reply regarding that subject. This post is again about those 15% or so of the population who are incompetant in math and logic yet still have the audacity to think that their opinions on subjects that have a mathematical or logical component, can be highly trusted.

It doesn't matter if they happen to be right about a particular issue. If they are, it is either because they got lucky in their analysis or they came to their conclusion through some other means, usually observation, (and then try to find logical reasons to justify that usually correct conclusion). A recent example is Arnold Snyder's mainly correct tournament advice which he detracts from when he tries to explain why it works.

Glenn Beck showed that he was a member of this group when he aired a piece where he condescendingly "explained" why it is a good idea to lower taxes. Repeating the points made by George Bush and many others, he explained how putting more money in people's hands would help the econonomy. More specifically he claimed that tax rate decreases would help the economy to the point that total tax revenues would actually INCREASE. And again he makes this point with a "duh" implying that this should be obvious.

But wait. It is actual simple logic that this CAN'T be obvious. Do you see it? The argument has certain similarities to the refutation of Snyder's chip utility theory.

If cutting taxes by 20% will obviously increase total tax revenues, then why not, tack on a second decrease to raise revenues further? (Remember this is not a debate over whether that is a good thing.) And if that works, why not a third decrease?

Obviously this situation is not linear since revenue clearly must go down with very low or very high tax rates. There is a maximum point on the curve. And that maximum might very well occur at a tax rate below what we have now. But where that maximum is is surely not a simplistic question. If Beck happens to be right it doesn't change the fact that his analysis was flawed. An analysis he thought was obvious. Because he was to stupid to realize that his ineptidude in math and logic makes any of his opinions suspect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, Dave, you are really hung on this Snyder issue!!
Why?? You are my poker guru, and he is one of my blackjack gurus? Why fret over whatever you have been fretting over!? What does it matter? DS, we should begin a good, 2plus2 frontloading team. jk, i dont even know how to frontload! but i think mason wrote something about frontloading being the optimum strategy. dont remember the context. we could shuffle track, perhaps, instead, and use snyder's text as our guide! peace mr sklansky
Old 11-19-2006, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Without addressing the underlying Snyder jab one way or the other...

Donald Schlessinger once publicly fell for what might be called a "sucker bet". Does it follow, and does it meet objective analysis, that Donald Schlessinger is a "logic-challenged arrogant moron?" Or is it possible that anyone can be lead astray by abstruse (or even mundane) subjects from time to time? If so then how do we explain his excellent blackjack book? Hundres of pages of getting it right by being lucky?

If I write how Issac Newton was best described as a logic-challenged arrogant moron on account of his laughable bible notions, I think I might get an objection or two...ya think?

[/ QUOTE ]

blackjack attack was only correct through some .00000000000000000001 to infinity squared out of one coincidence, just as every one of us, along with our world (and any other worlds that perhaps exist), came to be. schlesinger knows less about blackjack than i know about poker.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:40 AM

sklansky used the word 'nincompoop'