Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 08:18 PM

Default DLP/LCD/Plasma TV Care...Help!

So, I have two nice TV's in my house.

I have a 63 inch Mitsubishi DLP in my living room. It's about a year and a half old. I've never abused it. Anytime something in non-HD comes on I stretch the screen. I don't play many games, and never leave the screen of the game just sitting there.

I have a 32 inch LCDTV in my Office. It's about the same age. Never been abused. Same as above.

Yet, I have noticed in the past month or so, that BOTH of them are developing a bit of burn in on the sides. It's a black line, I'm sure it's in the same location as the bars on a non-HD broadast, or the black lines on ESPNHD when it's showing something that's not in HD.

I just don't get it! What am I doing wrong? Is it just inevitable that on nice TV's your going to have this issue? I'm scared for football season, because obviously when the whole screen is one color, these problems will be most evident.

I've had thoughts of upgrading my office TV to a 40 inch 1080p, and getting an XBox 360 to help me pass the time at night when I'm tilting or don't feel like "working"...but if it's just gonna look like [censored] in a year...I may not.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:46 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: DLP/LCD/Plasma TV Care...Help!

I don't necessarily know if it's a case of burn-in, but yeah, plasma-screen TVs are more susceptible to burn in than cathode-ray ones. I don't know enough about TVs to know if you're [censored] or not, but I know someone will.

Incidentally I've never heard of burn-in on LCD screens. I don't know what's going on there.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:02 PM

I've had LCD screens develop problems after you've had them for a while. I think it may have something to do with overheating.

Do you use surge protectors?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had LCD screens develop problems after you've had them for a while. I think it may have something to do with overheating.

Do you use surge protectors?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't. I may look into that.

Overheating definitely would make sense. The TV in my office is sometimes on for 8-10 hours at a time during long sessions.