Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who pays for your education?
Parents 117 33.52%
Other relatives 10 2.87%
Student loans 52 14.90%
Financial aid 69 19.77%
You 87 24.93%
other 14 4.01%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2007, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Barry Bonds indicted

[ QUOTE ]

Anything else you need to know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, an explanation of how you managed to gloss over the profit motive of journalists leaking grand jury testimony would be great. I said, "They stand to make money from it," and you said, "Journalists just report, it doesn't matter where they hear it. It's journalistic principle." Is that the kind of expert rebuttal that leads you to encourage so many clients to plea bargain?
Old 11-16-2007, 02:54 AM

So, NT, are you actually implying that most people's dislike of Bonds is because he's BLACK?

Wow. Just wow.

So then you go and start changing people's titles to "dumbest [censored] hick ever" and comparing a FEDERAL GRAND JURY to a lynch mob.

And you're changing OTHER people's titles. That's pretty shameful actions from a "moderator" of this forum.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, an explanation of how you managed to gloss over the profit motive of journalists leaking grand jury testimony would be great. I said, "They stand to make money from it," and you said, "Journalists just report, it doesn't matter where they hear it. It's journalistic principle." Is that the kind of expert rebuttal that leads you to encourage so many clients to plea bargain?

[/ QUOTE ]

EVERY reporter is looking to get something from not naming sources. Respect for staying true to their word in confidentiality agreements, money, fame, whatever.

Is that a thing to really be proud of? Not really. Would pretty much anybody in their situation do that? Without a second thought. The profit motive you are so hung up about isn't unique to this case.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:58 AM

offTopic,
There is a very small chance Bonds takes a plea.

RedBean,
I also saw Steve Phillips more or less guaranteeing Bonds would never play again and that he thinks there is good chance Bonds' record will not just have an asterix, but will be stricken from the record book all together.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:59 AM

i'm not a moderator of this forum, i'm a poster. i changed a user's title because he told me, 'change my title to whatever you see fit.' so i did. i also offered to change it back if that's what he prefers, but he is trying to pull some kind of gandhi act so he's not going to say anything more about it.

i didn't change anyone else's title.

i said that there is a significant racial undertone to the bonds hate. and yes, i compared a grand jury to a lynch mob. they are heavily tilted in favor of the prosecution, they are widely used as an intimidating and punitive instrument, and in this particular case, one was used to attack a man who was presumed guilty without regard for the public utility of the action or the rights of those involved.

if you don't think grand juries are used to bully people into compliance crawl out from under whatever rock you're living under. 'shameful actions for a moderator,' LOL. what's shameful is anyone making excuses for this perversion of our legal system.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Is that a thing to really be proud of? Not really. Would pretty much anybody in their situation do that? Without a second thought. The profit motive you are so hung up about isn't unique to this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the fact that others would do the exact same thing makes these guys reliable... how exactly? The fact that most reporters are whores for money means we should trust these particular whores?

Hint, the same guys who wrote that book are now hired commentators for major media outlets, presumably due to the notoriety they achieved from illegally leaking grand jury testimony. Aren't there statutes that are supposed to prevent people from profiting off criminal activity in this country?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a criminal lawyer. You should back off a bit. I see you are desperately trying to get at me (for some reason) but you are wasting your time. Really, what is it? First, I am a bad guy because I make my money off excessive legal proceedings; Next, I am a bad guy because I don't push elaborate legal proceedings, but rather try to get my clients to negotiate resolutions with their adversaries. Okay, I get it. For some reason, this thread has you riled up and you decided to take out your frustration on me.

As for your argument, I don't see how it comes to that.

The issue was about whether the reporters would do time for obstructing justice by not revealing the source of the leak. At that point, the book had already been published and they made plenty of money. The reporters could have just thrown the source under the bus, but they took a stand for their journalistic principals and faced jail time for it.

If I'm not mistaken, most of the relevant information was not original to the book, but it was reported in the newspaper as on ongoing story. Whether to publish, or not, is the decision of the newspaper, editors, reporters.

Again, the reporters get the story from a source. Whether the source breached a duty or violated the law does not really concern the reporter in these circumstances (there are cases where it would matter, but even then it is subject to vigorous debate). If its newsworthy, its going to be reported.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody knows if the case is going to trial. What percent of the time does the defendant serve jail time, either via plea or conviction?

[/ QUOTE ]

About 70% of the time when convicted, and 0% of the time when not convicted.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
RedBean,
I also saw Steve Phillips more or less guaranteeing Bonds would never play again and that he thinks there is good chance Bonds' record will not just have an asterix, but will be stricken from the record book all together.

[/ QUOTE ]

steve phillips also traded scott kazmir for victor zambrano. steve phillips don't know [censored]
Old 11-16-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody knows if the case is going to trial. What percent of the time does the defendant serve jail time, either via plea or conviction?

[/ QUOTE ]

About 70% of the time when convicted, and 0% of the time when not convicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL